Resources Update: Vaccine Pop-Ups, Eviction and Rental Assistance, Food Distribution, Job Assistance and More
A DCHS CONNECT FEATURE
Each week, DCHS highlights new and existing resources to support individuals and families impacted by the COVID-19 crisis or those in need. We encourage residents and faith-based and nonprofit organizations to share these resources with their neighbors and networks. You can also learn about and share the latest resources and news by following DCHS on Facebook or Twitter or subscribing to the Spanish Language Text Line by texting ALEXINFOESP to 888777.
Upcoming Vaccine Events on October 1, 4-9, 12-16, 20, 22-23, 27 and 30
- There are multiple clinics every week around the city where adults and children aged 12 and up can receive their free first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. As part of Alexandria's commitment to serving all communities, clinics are hosted at a variety of times in conveniently located neighborhood locations and do not require ID, insurance or English fluency. Access a schedule of locations and times.
The Workforce Development Center is hosting an event Oct 7:
- Join WDC for a “Virtual Hiring Event” with Extended Stay America on October 7, 10 a.m.- noon. Participants will be able to discuss and learn more about open positions, locations and interview with local hiring teams on the spot online via Zoom. This event is free and open to the public. Registration is required.
Weekly Jobs Flyer, Workshops and Skills Training
- Weekly Jobs Flyers. View this week’s lists of employers who are hiring, compiled and released by the Workforce Development Center. Follow WDC on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn for the latest flyer listing employers, or visit the WDC’s job board for a complete list of job opportunities.
- Free Workshops and Training. Access free WDC job readiness and career development workshops--including interviewing skills, navigating the virtual job fair, transferable skills, one-on-one job coaching, networking and more--and over 5,000 SkillUp online skills training courses. Select WDC workshops are also available in Spanish.
- Skills Training Programs and Scholarships. Access training through Re-Employing Virginians and Fast Forward Virginia, two new programs to help Virginians gain skills and credentials in high demand fields and get back to work. Learn more.
Rental and Eviction Prevention Assistance
- Alexandria Eviction Prevention staff are available in-person for immediate assistance every Wednesday and Thursday from 12-3 p.m. at Casa Chirilagua (4109 Mt. Vernon Ave.). Call 571.351.3272 or email volunteerAEPP@alive-inc.org.
- Access City and state rental and eviction prevention assistance for renters and landlords through the Office of Housing and DCHS. Learn more.
ALIVE! Food Distribution Pop-Ups
- ALIVE! has increased their pop-up food distributions to bring food directly to clients’ neighborhoods. View the ALIVE! Food Distribution Calendar (October 2021) or visit their website at www.alive-inc.org for more information.
- Learn more about additional food assistance resources.
For more information on a wide range of resources available, visit Resources to Meet Basic Needs of those Impacted by COVID-19:
- Emergency Safety Net Services
- Assistance for Workers and Job Seekers
- Child Care Assistance and Referral Programs
- Food Assistance
- Financial Relief for Small Businesses
- Healthcare Information and Resources
- Coping Strategies