As part of the City’s efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19, DCHS is offering many of its in-person services by phone and other alternative formats. See the DCHS Assistance from a Distance options.
Below are updates regarding our locations, services and events. If you have questions about services or need assistance, please call the DCSH Customer Service Team at 703.746.5700.
June 11, 2020
Please be advised that June 14, 2020 is the last night for shelter at the Charles Houston Recreational Center. David's Place will re-open the morning of June 16. See the attached document regarding the new practice for David's Place.
Individuals seeking emergency shelter can walk in to 2525 Mt. Vernon Avenue during business hours, Monday through Friday, or they can contact the call center at 703.746.5700 for an appointment.
May 13, 2020
The temporary stay-in-place shelter has been extended until June 13, 2020.
April 15, 2020
The City has obtained temporary shelter services for vulnerable singles within the City of Alexandria experiencing homelessness. This temporary shelter is located at Charles Houston Recreation Center: 901 Wythe Street Alexandria, VA 22314. It is currently scheduled to operate from April 13 to May 13, 2020 and will be operational 24 hours per day.
This temporary shelter is meant to operate to help meet the "stay in place" order that is currently required within Virginia. Staffing, meals, showers, washer/dryer, etc. are provided, so there will be limited access to leave the building. View the list of expectations reviewed with guests that access the recreation center.
April 1, 2020
DCHS will not hold the previously scheduled income tax sessions for April 2020. DCHS is exploring alternative ways to support helping low-income filers get their returns filed without paying exorbitant fees. Individuals looking to file can visit the free file site, www.ctadc.org.
March 31, 2020
Winter Shelter Hours
Please note that Winter Shelter will remain open and operate as normal until April 15, 2020.
March 26, 2020
- Alexandria Workforce Development Center (WDC)
The Workforce Development Center is operating at limited capacity to ensure social distancing due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). All in-person workshops, hiring events and access to the Resource Center are suspended at this time. WDC Staff will be delivering services by appointment either online or by phone. For more information, visit alexandriava.gov/workforcedevelopment
- The Child Care office is closed and only available by appointment. Apply for services online through CommonHelp or call 703.746.5437, for assistance by phone.
Child and Family Behavioral Health Services
- For children and youth who have mental health or substance use challenges, contact youth intake at 571.213.7963 or DCHSYouthIntake@alexandriava.gov; messages returned within one business day.
- Services in English, Spanish and Amharic provided via telemedicine (video and/or phone contact) with access to other languages via telephone or video interpretation.
2525 Mt. Vernon Ave. Restricted Hours of Operation
LOBBY IS OPEN Monday through Friday ONLY FOR:
- Emergency Shelter and Scheduled Appointments 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- SNAP EBT card pick-up times 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. (new cards only) *For replacement card, call 866.281.2448
- Mail pick-up for customers who use 2525 Mt. Vernon Avenue as their mailing address 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Need DCHS Assistance? For services including rent, utility, or prescription assistance, call 703.746.5700.
March 25, 2020
- The medication clinic at 2355A Mill Road is open from 7-11 Monday - Friday.
The outpatient therapy and support services are available by appointment with your therapist. For information, call 703.746.3600.
- REVIVE! Training sessions are postponed through April. They are offered every second Tuesday (10-11 a.m.) and fourth Thursday (5:30 – 6:30 p.m.) of the month at Mill Road. Affected dates are March 26, April 14 and April 23.