Growing Interest in Preventing Breast Cancer Takes Alexandria from Awareness to Action for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund finds new supporters as all city sectors rally to increase mammogram cancer prevention services for low-income women
Alexandria’s ongoing support for breast cancer prevention will reach new heights this October when representatives of the business, faith, medical, historic and government sectors of the city join forces for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Multiple activities are planned to benefit the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund, which provides cancer prevention education and free mammograms for low-income women. Highlights include:
- Couture for a Cure – Thursday, October 4, 7-9 p.m., Springfield Town Center at Springfield Mall
Join breast cancer survivors, community members, physicians and advocates as they rip the runway in a fun-filled Fashion Show event - Free Admission
Sponsored by the Association of Alexandria Radiologists, PC alexandriaradiology.com
- Breast Cancer Awareness Walk – Saturday, October 13, 8 - 11 a.m., Oakland Baptist Church, 3408 King Street, Alexandria 22302
Share fellowship and light refreshments at 8 a.m., walk starts at 9 a.m. - $10 Donation
Sponsored by the historic Oakland Baptist Church, contact Nechelle Terrell 571.426.0569
- Los Tios Restaurant Night – Tuesday, October 16, 2615 Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray
Enjoy dinner out (on your own budget) and benefit the Vola Lawson Fund at the same time. A percentage of the night’s profits will go to the Fund. SALUD! (To your health!)
Contact Anuja Miner at email@example.com
- Del Ray Farmers’ Market – Saturday, October 13 and October 20, Breast Cancer Awareness T-shirts! 2311 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria 22301
Wear and share your awareness. T-shirts on sale.
Sponsored by the Alexandria Friends of the Commission for Women, contact Jacinta Greene at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yates’ Give Your 2 Cents Program – Throughout the month of October, Yates Automotive, 317 E. Braddock Road, Alexandria 22301
Two cents of every gallon of gas purchased in October will be donated to the Vola Lawson Fund.
Contact Heidi Hess at email@example.com
- Mammogram Screening – Throughout the month of October and ongoing, with a referral from Neighborhood Health, 2 East Glebe Road, Alexandria 22305
Free (for women who meet the income criteria), call 703.535.5568 to schedule an appointment for a referral.
In 1994, the Alexandria Walk to Fight Breast Cancer was established by former City Manager Vola Lawson to provide free mammograms and other diagnostic screenings to uninsured and under insured Alexandria women.
Due to budget cuts, the Annual Walk to Fight Breast Cancer was permanently cancelled in 2014, but to ensure that women who remain in need of critical screenings, the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial was established. The Fund is named in honor of Vola Lawson who passed away in December 2013.
With support of community members, city government, local businesses and non-profit organizations, we are able to keep the memory of Vola and her vision alive.
To support women in need, visit: https://www.razoo.com/story/Volalawson or send a check payable to the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Fund and mail to: ACT for Alexandria, 201 King Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA, 22314. All donations are tax-deductible.
There are several ways to support the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund. One great way is by contributing to the Fund. Contributions are accepted year around. With a donation of just $200, you can fund one Free Mammogram for one woman in Alexandria.
Participate in Breast Cancer Awareness Activities
Each October, the Alexandria Commission for Women partners with City Departments, non-profits, and local businesses to host events to raise awareness of breast cancer and to raise funds for the Fund. Spread the Word!
Supporting the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Fund is a community effort. If you would like to partner with the Vola Lawson Fund to support local women, let us know! To inquire about collaborative opportunities, email the Alexandria Commission for Women at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to those organizations that have supported the Fund!
- Association of Alexandria Radiologists
- Ultrasound Associates Women’s Imaging Center
- Jack Taylor’s Alexandria Toyota/Scion
- Alexandria Fire Department
- Oakland Baptist Church
The Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund provides free mammograms for women who:
- Live in the City of Alexandria,
- Are in need of a mammogram and;
- Do not have insurance or whose insurance does not cover screening mammograms.
Who needs a mammogram?
- Women over 40 should have a mammogram every year
- If you have a family history of breast cancer or aren't sure, ask your health care provider
- Women and men with a suspicious lump should see their health care provider
How do I get a free mammogram?
For more information on how to access the Fund or obtain a referral for a mammogram, contact Neighborhood Health at 571.535.5568.