History and Background
The City Council established the Children, Youth and Families Collaborative Commission in June 2011, replacing the Early Childhood Commission and the Youth Policy Commission. It is comprised of twenty-nine community leaders and key staff of the City of Alexandria and Alexandria City Public Schools: twenty-five voting members and four non-voting members. Seventeen of the voting members are residents, four are city staff members, and four are staff members of Alexandria City Public Schools. Activities of the past year are featured in the 2014-15 CYFCC Annual Report.
In addition, CYFCC has seven committees comprised of commission members (who serve as committee chairs) and members of the community with a demonstrated interest in issues involving children, youth and families. The committees are the Executive Committee; Advocacy and Policy Committee; Finance and Grants Committee; Outreach and Membership Committee; Research and Data Committee; Implementation and Monitoring Committee; and Youth Council. Community members wishing to serve on a CYFCC committee should submit an application.
City's First Children and Youth Master Plan
The Children, Youth & Families Collaborative Commission developed the Children and Youth Master Plan as the basis for the coordination, alignment and delivery of effective services to all city children and youth from birth to 21 years-old and their families. Adopted by City Council on June 24, 2014 and by the ACPS School Board on May 17, 2014, the plan establishes long-term, community-wide priorities for youth as well as the specific action steps necessary to realize those priorities. The goals of the plan are to ensure that all children and youth are healthy and safe, academically and vocationally prepared, and socially and civically connected.
CYFCC Agendas & Meeting Notes
Strategic Plans & Other Resources
- Early Childhood Education Work Group's (ECEW) Common Agenda: Early Care and Education in Alexandria, VA - October 2015
- 2011 Youth Risk Behavior Survey – February 2013
- Community YouthMapping in the East End of Alexandria - February 2012
- Superintendent's Report - October 2011
- Disciplinary Referrals and Graduation Trend Report: 2004-05 to 2010-11 - October 2011
- Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Alexandria (SAPCA) Strategic Plan - October 2011
- Alexandria Campaign on Adolescent Pregnancy (ACAP) Action Plan - July 2011
- Resource Guide for Alexandria's Children, Youth & Families - April 2011
- Community YouthMapping in the West End of Alexandria - January 2011
- Gang Prevention Community Task Force Strategic Plan - October 2010
- Alexandria City Council Strategic Plan - June 2010
- Alexandria City Public Schools Strategic Plan - March 2009
- Developmental Assets: A Profile of Youth - July 2010
- A Needs Assessment of the Alexandria Human Services System - June 2008
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey: Final Report - February 2008