Hard Work, Dedication Honored at Salute to Women Awards in Alexandria
For Immediate Release: March 21, 2017
Saluting the tireless work and commitment to women and girls throughout the community was the focus at the Alexandria Commission for Women’s 37th Annual Salute to Women Awards celebration on March 20 at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Madison Auditorium.
More than 200 attendees came out to honor ten outstanding women nominated by fellow Alexandrians for their valuable community contributions, and their impact on the well-being of Alexandria’s women.
The awards ceremony is held annually by the Alexandria Commission for Women with support from the Alexandria Department of Community and Human Services during Women's History Month. Serving as emcee, Julie Carey of News4 NBC recognized the awardees alongside members of the Commission for Women, friends of the Commission and the Alexandria City Council.
2017 Salute to Women Award Recipients:
- Patricia Paxton - Leadership in Business and Career Development Award
- Yolanda Carrasco & Mildred Rivera - Making a Difference Award
- Kendallee Walker - Youth Community Services Award (Youth)
- LaVon Curtis - Youth Community Services Award (Adult)
- Martha Carucci - Women's Health and Safety Advocate Award
- Laurie MacNamara - The Marguerite Payez Leadership Award
- Lisa Smith - The Donna Bergheim Cultural Affairs Award
- Lisette Torres - The Vola Lawson Award
- Dorathea Peters - The Susan Lowell Butler Lifetime Achievement Award
Proceeds from this event support the Sexual Assault Center and the Domestic Violence Program, which provides direct services for survivors, their families, and friends including crisis intervention, a 24-hour hotline, law enforcement and hospital accompaniment, court advocacy, individual and group supportive counseling and therapy (for women, men and children), and information and referrals. In addition, the program provides community education and training for adults and adolescents on sexual assault issues, bystander intervention and risk reduction strategies.