Alexandria elects its Mayor and six-member City Council every third year. The next election for Mayor and City Council will be on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
- Political parties may choose to nominate their candidates via a caucus (which the party would organize in the spring of 2018) or a city-wide Primary on June 12, 2018.
- Independent candidates may also run. The filing deadline for independent candidates is June 12, 2018.
Qualifications to be a candidate are:
- Qualified to vote for and hold the office for which one offers.
- A resident of the Commonwealth for one year immediately preceding the election.
- A resident, by the time of filing, of the city in which one offers for election.
Candidates may access Candidate Information Bulletins from the State Department of Elections. These bulletins provide information on:
1. Candidate filing forms and deadlines.
2. Campaign finance reporting requirements.
3. Civil penalties which may be assessed for violations of campaign finance reporting requirements.
The bulletins also include frequently asked questions about elections and candidates.
Questions may be directed to the State Department of Elections at 1-800-552-9745.