Alexandria elects its Mayor and six-member City Council every third year. The next election for Mayor and City Council will be on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
- The Democratic Party will nominate its candidates for Mayor and City Council via a city-wide Primary on June 12, 2018. The candidate filing deadline was March 29, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
- The Republican Party will nominate its candidates via a Party Canvass. For filing deadlines, please contact the Alexandria Republican City Committee, www.alexgop.org. Most of the filing deadlines are set by the party, but must come before June 12 at 7:00 p.m.
- Independent candidates may also run. The filing deadline for independent candidates is June 12, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. For more information, please contact the Alexandria Voter Registration Office, 703-746-4050.
Qualifications to be a candidate are:
- Qualified to vote for and hold the office for which one offers.
- A resident of the Commonwealth for one year immediately preceding the election.
- A resident, by the time of filing, of the city in which one offers for election.
Candidates may access Candidate Information Bulletins from the State Department of Elections. These bulletins provide information on:
1. Candidate filing forms and deadlines.
2. Campaign finance reporting requirements.
3. Civil penalties which may be assessed for violations of campaign finance reporting requirements.
The bulletins also include frequently asked questions about elections and candidates.
Questions may be directed to the State Department of Elections at 1-800-552-9745 or the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703-746-4050.