Alexandria elects its Mayor and six-member City Council every third year. The next election for Mayor and City Council will be on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
- Political parties may choose to nominate their candidates via a city-wide Primary on June 12, 2018. or, they may choose a different method of nomination, for example, a party canvass.
- If a party chooses to nominate its candidates via a Primary, the candidate filing deadline is March 29, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
- If a party chooses to nominate its candidates by a method other than a Primary, that nominating process may take place any time between April 26 and June 12. Most of the filing deadlines are set by the party, but must come before June 12 at 7:00 p.m.
- Independent candidates may also run. The filing deadline for independent candidates is June 12, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Qualifications to be a candidate are:
- Qualified to vote for and hold the office for which one offers.
- A resident of the Commonwealth for one year immediately preceding the election.
- A resident, by the time of filing, of the city in which one offers for election.
Candidates may access Candidate Information Bulletins from the State Department of Elections. These bulletins provide information on:
1. Candidate filing forms and deadlines.
2. Campaign finance reporting requirements.
3. Civil penalties which may be assessed for violations of campaign finance reporting requirements.
The bulletins also include frequently asked questions about elections and candidates.
Questions may be directed to the State Department of Elections at 1-800-552-9745.