How to Register & Vote in Alexandria
The deadline to register, or update your registration information, is 22 days before a General or Primary election. You may disqualify yourself from voting if you move within Virginia and do not update your voter registration information with your new address.
The fastest way to register or update your information is online.
- Go to the Virginia Department of Elections website, https://vote.elections.virginia.gov. Applications must be submitted before midnight on the day of the registration deadline.
- Follow the instructions for updating your information or completing an application online.
Apply By Mail
The above link is to a fillable form you can complete on your computer. If you are not able to access this application, please call 703-746-4050 and ask for a voter registration application.
- Complete the fillable Voter Registration Application on your computer.
- Print the application, and sign it.
- Mail to:
Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal, Suite 100
Alexandria, VA. 22314
Apply in Person
To submit a voter registration application in person, stop by one of the following sites:
Office of Voter Registration
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Monday through Friday 8 am - 5 pm
Division of Motor Vehicles
2681 Mill Road, during DMV hours
You are eligible to register to vote if you:
- Are a citizen of the United States
- Are a legal resident of Virginia
- Will be 18 years of age by the next general election
- Have had your rights restored if:
- previously convicted of a felony, or
- judged by a Circuit Court to be mentally incapacitated
Voters do not register by party in Virginia. All but local candidates are identified by party on ballots.
Military and Overseas Voters
For information on special mail registration and voting for military personnel, citizens employed overseas and their families, please see our absentee voting page or call the Office of Voter Registration, 703-746-4050.
Cancel Your Voter Registration
To cancel your voter registration, please return a signed copy of the Request to Cancel Voter Registration to the Alexandria Voter Registration Office by mail or fax (703-838-6449).
Report the Death of a Registered Voter
Please return a signed copy of the Report of Death of Registered Voter to the Alexandria Voter Registration Office by mail or fax (703-838-6449)
Restoration of Voting Rights
To learn more about the Restoration of Voting Rights in Virginia go to the Secretary of the Commonwealth's website.
Conducting a Voter Registration Drive
For information on Conducting a Voter Registration Drive, go to the Department of Elections website. You (or a representative from your organization) will need to take a quick online course before we may give you a supply of registration applications.