NOTE: Click on any highlighted agency or function to view Fiscal Year 2011 Approved Budget information. Click on any highlighted number to view notes or additional information.
*75.0% of Fiscal Year Completed
*75.48% of Payrolls Processed
|Legislative & Executive||$7,117,967||$7,737,648||$5,521,774||71.4%||$5,436,390||2%|
|Information Technology Services||$6,413,983||$7,165,378||$4,799,744||67.0%||$4,704,947||2%|
|Management & Budget||1,102,234||1,185,929||820,614||69.2%||840,428||-2%|
|Real Estate Assessment||1,467,395||1,690,229||1,098,582||65.0%||1,103,912||0%|
|Planning & Zoning||5,453,956||5,554,337||4,000,463||72.0%||4,146,707||-4%|
|Economic Development Activities||3,239,109||3,833,611||2,608,238||68.0%||3,156,662||-17%1|
Total Staff Agencies
|Transportation & Environmental Services||$26,308,499||$28,207,149||$19,757,834||70.0%||$19,622,836||1%|
|Fire and Code Administration||39,338,983||35,956,5992||28,984,320||80.6%||29,397,577||-1%|
|Police and Emergency Communications||51,980,201||52,691,408||39,630,966||75.2%||38,983,577||2%|
|Mental Health/Mental Retardation/ Substance Abuse||521,429||551,662||506,793||91.9%||418,478||21%|
Total Operating Agencies
|Other Educational Activities||12,304||12,229||9,172||75.0%||12,304||-25%|
|Capital, Debt Service & Miscellaneous|
|Total Capital, Debt Service & Miscellaneous||$48,182,134||$56,000,108||$34,924,527||62.4%||$30,954,537||12.8%|
|Cash Match (Mental Health/Mental Retardation/Substance Abuse,
Human Services, and Library and Transfers to the Special Revenue Fund)
|Transfer to Housing||1,471,393||1,606,566||1,228,279||76.5%||924,943||32.8%|
|Transfer to Library||6,074,971||6,270,659||4,702,994||75.0%||4,556,228||3.2%|
|Transfer to DASH||7,907,789||7,807,789||5,855,842||75.0%||5,930,842||-1.3%|
|TOTAL EXPENDITURES & TRANSFERS||$521,939,675||$539,375,172||$348,129,991||64.5%||$340,025,924||2.4%|
|Total Expenditures by Category|
|Salaries and Benefits||$180,224,174||$180,732,360||$137,949,861||76.3%||$136,123,468||1.3%6|
|Non Personnel (includes all school funds)||341,715,501||358,642,812||210,180,130||58.6%||203,902,456||3.1%7|
- Economic Development Activities: The decrease is attributable to the timing of the quarterly payment to Alexandria Convention and Visitors Association. The FY 2010 fourth quarter payment was paid prior to March 31.
- Fire: As discussed orally at the January 11, 2011, City Council meeting, the Fire Department is projected to be over budget due to overtime expenditures, primarily due to a large number of firefighter and medic vacancies in the department during the first half of the year The Fire Department is projected to be as much as $1.2 to $1.5 million over budget. While rate of overtime expenditures has slowed with the ability of the department to use the new recruits to staff shifts instead of using overtime, the department provided unbudgeted staff to respond to a large fire in Prince William and Prince George’s Counties as well as to the February snow emergency.
- Schools: The City will provide approximately 76 percent of the estimated funds required to operate the City public school system in FY 2011.
- Debt Service: The increase reflects budgeted debt service for bonds issued in June 2009. A portion of the interest cost ($1.2 million) is reimbursed from the federal government as part of the Build America Bond program.
- Non Departmental: The decrease reflected a budget decrease in the City’s contribution to the other post-Employment Benefits Trust Fund.
- Personnel Expenditures: Personnel expenditures remain on par with last year. These personnel expenditures are just slightly higher than the budget primarily because turnover savings are deducted from the budget on the first day of the fiscal year, while the savings are realized throughout the year.
- Non-Personnel Expenditures: Non-personnel spending increased 3.1 percent. For most departments, differences in spending patterns for non-personnel during the year reflect the timing of bill payments and do not necessarily reflect changes in spending patterns. We are closely monitoring and controlling these expenditures to be at or below budget.
- Year-to-Date Expenditures: As of March 31, 2011, actual General Fund expenditures totaled $348.1 million, an increase of $8.1 million, or 2.4 percent, above expenditures for the same period last year. The revised budget reflects amounts that were appropriated in the supplemental appropriation ordinance approved in December.