Ambulance Billing FAQs

Page updated on May 12, 2021 at 9:43 AM

Q. What is the charge for being transported to the hospital by a medic unit?

A. When a patient is transported to a hospital/medical facility, the fee will be one of the following:

  • For Basic Life Support (BLS) the charge is $500 Basic Life Support is the transportation by ground ambulance vehicle and the provision of medical supplies and services without Advanced Life Support intervention.
  • For Advanced Life Support, Level 1 (ALS-1) the charge is $650 ALS-1 service is the transportation by ground ambulance vehicle and the provision of medically necessary supplies and services including the provision of an ALS assessment and at least one ALS intervention.
  • For Advanced Life Support, Level 2 (ALS-2) the charge is $800 ALS-2 service is the transportation by ground ambulance vehicle and the provision of medically necessary supplies and services including: (1) at least three separate administrations of one or more medications by intravenous push/bolus or by continuous infusion; or (2) ground ambulance transport and the provision of at least one advanced life-saving procedure.  

In addition, 

  • For all transports, a charge of $10.00 per mile is charged based on the number of miles a patient is transported to a medical facility.

Q.  Does the fire department handle the ambulance transport billing in-house or is this handled by a contractor?

A. The City of Alexandria Fire Department’s ambulance billing is handled by a third-party company known as Change Healthcare Management Solutions Inc.

  • The company is in Miamisburg, OH and can be reached toll free at (855)-626-9660 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.

Patients of the Alexandria Fire Department EMS will usually receive correspondence and bills from Change Healthcare, and not the Alexandria Fire Department.

Q. Who can I contact in the Fire Department to obtain a copy of my ambulance bill?

A. You can receive a copy of your ambulance bill by contacting Larosa Farmer, Administrative Support V at 703.746.5253.

Q. Who can I contact to obtain a record of any of my incident reports?

 A. You can receive a copy of a fire incident report by contacting Cameron Hall, Administrative Assistant at 703.746.5241.

Q. What if I can't pay my ambulance bill and would like to request financial hardship assistance?

A. You may apply for financial hardship if you meet the qualifications outlined in the City Ordinance Sec. 3-2-131 – Imposition; exceptions. Requests should be sent in writing to the EMS Deputy Chief at

The qualified reasons for hardship are as follows:

(1) Persons in the custody of the police department or the office of the sheriff of the city;

(2) Persons determined to be medically indigent according to (i) the eligibility determination made by the hospital to which the person is transported, or (ii) Level A of the income level scales established by the health department of the city for the purpose of determining eligibility for health services;

(3) Victims of violent crime, as identified by the commonwealth's attorney for the city;

(4) Persons affected by fire, flood, storm, natural or man-made calamity or disaster, or by widespread public disturbance or disorder when an emergency rescue vehicle of the city responds as a matter of policy without call;

(5) City of Alexandria employees who become ill or are injured during working hours while carrying out work-related duties; or

(6) Children 18 years of age or younger who require emergency medical service and transport while attending school or a school-related activity. (Code 1963, Sec. 36-59, as amended by Ord. No. 2564, 5/16/81, Sec. 1; Ord. No. 2908, 3/21/84, Sec. 1; Ord. No. 3490, 12/15/90, Sec. 1; Ord. No. 4045, 5/5/99, Sec. 1; Ord. No. 4448, 5/20/06, Sec. 1; Ord. No. 4534, 5/5/08, Sec. 1; Ord. No. 4947, 5/16/15, Sec. 1)

Q. Can I pay my ambulance bill using a credit card?

A. At this time, payments cannot be made with a credit card, though the City is still working to coordinate with the vendor to accept credit card payments. Currently, payments should be made via check.

Q. How does the ambulance billing work once I provide my insurance information?

A. Once you provide insurance information, Change Healthcare Management Solutions, Inc. will alert your insurance who will work with Change Healthcare to pay a portion of your bill. If further information is requested by your insurance in order to process the claim, you will be contacted.