July 14, 2011
- Basement fire in a single family home
- Firefighters arrived on the scene and reported smoke showing
- No injuries to the occupants or to fire department personnel
- Fire was caused by a malfunctioning dryer
- Residents displaced and assisted by the American Red Cross
At approximately 2100 hours units from the Alexandria Fire Department responded to a report of house fire in the 4400 block of Venable Ave. Firefighters arrived on the scene and reported smoke showing from the basement. A second alarm was dispatched to assist with the incident. The occupants of the home were able to evacuate safely and without injuries. The fire was extinguished and an investigation into the cause of the fire was completed. The cause of the fire was determined to be from a malfunctioning dryer and ruled accidental.
The occupants of the home were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.