The sidewalk network on the east side of Commonwealth Avenue, between Nelson Avenue and Glendale Avenue, is incomplete. Construction of a new sidewalk on this section of Commonwealth Avenue was identified as a priority pedestrian project for implementation in the City's 2016 Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan.
The Traffic & Parking Board approved the request to remove four on-street parking spaces to construct new sidewalks between Nelson Avenue and Glendale Avenue at their September 26, 2016 public hearing.
Construction of the Commonwealth Avenue sidewalk will begin in October 2017. In order to complete the sidewalk, the four parking spaces between Alexandria Avenue and Luray Avenue will be removed. In addition, there will be temporary parking restrictions nearby through the duration of construction. All construction will occur exclusively within the City’s right-of-way.
Construction is anticipated to last up to two months.
The project goals have been identified as the following:
- Provide more sidewalk space along Commonwealth Ave between E. Glendale Avenue and E. Nelson Avenue.
- Create a more direct and comfortable route for pedestrians along Commonwealth Avenue.
- Reduce pedestrian, vehicle, and bicycle conflicts on Commonwealth Avenue.
- Create a calmer and safer street for all roadway users -- bicyclists, pedestrians, and drivers -- and residents.
- September 26, 2016 - Traffic and Parking Board - approved removal of 4 parking spaces to construct new sidewalk
- City of Alexandria Pedestrian & Bicycle Master Plan Update
- City of
Alexandria Complete Streets Design Guidelines
Please contact Amanda Mansfield, Complete Streets Planner, at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about this project.