Utilities and Telecommunications
The following utility and telecommunications providers have announced that they have suspended disconnections due to nonpayment and are offering other special COVID-19 response services and policies. Details vary by provider; click the links below for more information. For questions, contact the provider directly.
- Alexandria Renew Enterprises (AlexRenew)
- Dominion Energy
- Sprint & T-Mobile
- Verizon Wireless
- Virginia American Water
- Washington Gas
- Comcast / Xfinity (includes 60 days of free internet service for low-income families who are new customers)
Avoiding Scams and Misinformation
- Remain vigilant for scams related to COVID-19. You may receive fake phone calls or emails with malicious attachments or links to fraudulent websites, to try to trick you into revealing sensitive information or donating to fraudulent charities or causes.
- Exercise caution in handling any email with a COVID-19-related subject line, attachment, or hyperlink, and be wary of social media pleas, texts, or calls related to COVID-19.
- Do not reveal personal or sensitive information in email, and do not respond to email solicitations for this information.
- Avoid clicking on links in unsolicited emails from unofficial sources, and be wary of email attachments.
- Learn how to avoid social engineering and phishing attacks.
- Use trusted sources, such as government websites ending in .GOV like coronavirus.gov (CDC), vdh.virginia.gov, and alexandriava.gov/Coronavirus.
- Verify a charity’s authenticity before making donations. Review the Federal Trade Commission’s page on Charity Scams for more information.
- Businesses and organizations should review information about risk management related to COVID-19.