On May 12, 1981, the Alexandria City Council passed an ordinance to create the Public Health Advisory Commission (PHAC). The PHAC's functions, powers and duties are to advise and support the City and City Council by evaluating and advising on all health matters and on the priority of public health needs in the City.
The PHAC consists of 16 members, including three citizen members who are health professionals, five citizen members who are non-health professionals, one physician practicing in the City, one dentist practicing in the City, one representative from the Alexandria Community Services Board, one representative from the Inova Alexandria Hospital, one representative from the Neighborhood Health Board of Directors, one representative from the City's Fire Department, one representative from the Alexandria City School Board and one representative from the Partnership for a Healthier Alexandria Steering Committee. The Commission is supported by the Alexandria Health Department.
List of Members
- Chris Dunay, Alexandria Community Services Board Representative
- Liz Ghandakly, Non-Health Professional
- Ann Harbour (Chair), INOVA Alexandria Hospital Representative
- Daniel Hawkins, Health Professional
- Keith Hearle, Neighborhood Health Board of Directors
- Dr. Jessica Hill, Dentist nominated by NOVA Dental Society
- Brian Hricik, Fire Department Representative
- Allen Lomax, Partnership for a Healthier Alexandria Steering Committee Representative
- Richard Merritt, Non-Health Professional
- Dr. Barbara Nowak, Alexandria City School Board Representative
- Patricia Rodgers (Vice-Chair), Health Professional
- Dr. Michael C. Trahos, Practicing Physician Representative
- Katya Wanzer, Health Professional
- L. Tamara Wilson, Non-Health Professional
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Commission, visit alexandriava.gov/Boards for more information.
Unless otherwise noted, the Public Health Advisory Commission meets on the third Thursday of the month from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. at the Alexandria Health Department, 4480 King Street, in the 4th Floor Conference Room. Click here for the 2017 PHAC Calendar.
2017 Agenda and Meeting Minutes
January 19, 2017, February 16, 2017, March 16, 2017, April 20, 2017, May 8, 2017, May 18, 2017, July 20, 2017, August 17, 2017, September 21, 2017, October 19, 2017PHAC Final Agenda and Minutes October 19, 2017, November 16, 2017
Flora Krause Casey Public Health Award
The Flora Casey Public Health Award recognizes any individual who has furthered the health of the Alexandria community. The award is given in honor of Flora Krause Casey, whose life work improved the health of Alexandria’s most needy and vulnerable residents. The Alexandria Public Health Advisory Commission and Alexandria Health Department sponsor this award annually.
For eligibility criteria and to submit your nomination online, please go here.
City Staff Contact
Janine McCormick, Health Department, 703.746.4956.