It’s smart to get ready for hurricane and flash flooding season, which begins June 1. Purchasing supplies is important, but it’s critical to make a family emergency plan. Protect your family now by making a plan. It is free, simple, and will make a big difference.
Uses the following sites to learn about simple, low-cost steps to prepare your family or business for hurricanes, flooding and many other hazards.
- Visit www.ReadyVirginia.gov for preparation steps from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.
- See the Tropical Cyclone Preparedness guide at http://www.weather.gov/os/hurricane/resources/TropicalCyclones11.pdf from the U.S. National Hurricane Center.
- Visit alexandriava.gov/Hurricane for preparation steps from the City of Alexandria.
During Hurricane Season:
- Track storms from http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ at the National Hurricane Center’s website.
- See local updates at alexandria.gov/Storm from the City of Alexandria.