This week, the Alexandria Health Department (AHD) celebrates our amazing Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) Volunteers! We thank them for being a member of the MRC and for all the hard work they do. AHD has an important role in responding to a variety of emergencies and the MRC support is critical to our mission. In addition to emergency responses, the MRC integrates periodically in day-to-day AHD activities. In the past year, MRC volunteers have integrated into numerous projects:
- Seasonal flu vaccination campaign and back to school vaccinations
- WIC nutritional education
- Environmental Health vector control and outreach efforts at community events and health fairs.
- Administrative assistance.
The volunteer service provided to our community through the MRC from January through December of 2012 is estimated to be $34,500, but the true value is in the lives touched, the families educated, the diseases prevented, and the MRC volunteers’ willingness and ability to respond when needed. For a full report of MRC activities in 2012, please click here.
National Volunteer Week, April 21-27, celebrates, recognizes, encourages, and inspires people to seek out imaginative ways to engage in their communities. National Volunteer Week demonstrates to our community and our nation that, by working together, we have the fortitude to meet our challenges and accomplish our goals. For more information, please visit www.handsonnetwork.org/nationalprograms/signatureevents/nvw
Volunteering provides the great satisfaction of helping others. For many individuals, volunteering gives them an additional sense of purpose and meaning in their lives. Volunteering broadens social and professional networks, enhances community cohesiveness and resilience, and has many positive effects for both persons who volunteer and those in the community who are served. The Alexandria Medical Reserve Corps is composed of both medical AND non-medical volunteers. To learn more about (and to join!) the people and the great work of the Alexandria Medical Reserve Corps, visit our website at www.alexandriava.gov/medicalreserve
For more information on additional volunteer opportunities, please visit:
- Alexandria Citizen Corps Council – www.alexandriava.gov/city/citizencorps/
- Alexandria Red Cross Chapter – www.alexandriaredcross.org
- Volunteer Alexandria – www.volunteeralexandria.org
- Virginia Medical Reserve Corps – www.vamrc.org
- National Medical Reserve Corps – www.medicalreservecorps.gov
- National Citizen Corps Council – www.citizencorps.gov