About the Alexandria Archaeological Commission
The Commission usually meets at 7:00 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month. Meetings are open to the public – call 703.746.4399 for meeting location. The Commission encourages the public to attend, to find out what’s been dug up around town, and to express opinions on what should be studied and preserved.
The Alexandria Archaeological Commission was established in 1975 and reauthorized by Ordinance No. 3773 in 1995.
Commission members must be Alexandria city residents and are appointed by the Alexandria City Council. Approximately five hours per month are required of Commission members. Vacancies on all Alexandria Boards and Commissions are listed in the local newspapers, or call Citizen Assistance at 703-746-4800 or the director of Alexandria Archaeology at 703-746-4399.
For further information about the responsibilities of this board or commission, or to apply to serve on this board or commission, contact Jackie Henderson in the City Clerk's Office at 703 746-4550.
The commission is made up of representatives of the following organizations:
5 Members at-large
1 Citizen member from each of the three Planning Districts
1 Member from the Alexandria Association
1 Member from the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce
1 Member from the Alexandria Historical Society
1 Member from the Alexandria Society for the Preservation of Black Heritage
1 Member from the Friends of Alexandria Archaeology
1 Member from the Historic Alexandria Foundation
Term of Service
City Staff Contact
Francine Bromberg, Office of Historic Alexandria, 703.746.4399
- AAC Agenda October 19, 2016
- AAC Agenda September 21, 2016
- AAC Agenda August 17, 2016
- AAC Agenda July 20, 2016
- AAC Agenda June 15, 2016
- AAC Agenda May 18, 2016
- AAC Agenda April 20, 2016
- AAC Agenda March 16, 2016
- AAC Agenda February 17, 2016
- AAC Agenda January 20, 2016
- AAC Agenda December 16, 2015
- AAC Agenda November 18, 2015
- AAC Agenda October 21, 2015
- AAC Agenda September 16, 2015
- AAC Agenda August 19, 2015
- AAC Minutes November 18, 2015 (pending)
- AAC Minutes October 21, 2015 (pending)
- AAC Minutes September 16, 2015
- AAC Minutes August 19, 2015 (pending)
Reports of the Alexandria Archaeological Commission
- Alexandria Archaeological Commission Brochure
- Alexandria Waterfront History Plan, 2010
- Strategic Plan: 2007-2015
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2013
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2012
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2011
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2010
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2009
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2008
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2007
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2006
- Annual Report Fiscal Year 2005
Bernard (Ben) Brenman Award for Archaeology is awarded by the Commission to individuals and groups that further the interests of archaeology in Alexandria.
Presentation to the Alexandria City Council Work Session
Alexandria Archeological Commission, September 27, 2011
In celebration of 50 years of archaeology in the City, Commission Chair Kathleen Pepper discussed the accomplishments of Alexandria Archaeology over 50 years, since the first archaeological investigation at Fort Ward in 1961, as well as the future goals of the department and its commission.
Artifact display boxes with highlights from the City’s archaeology collections were presented to each council member and Mayor Euille for the duration of the meeting, underscoring their role as stewards of the collections. Each box represents a different historical time, place, and topic. All of the objects originated from an archaeological excavation, or site, within the city limits. Artifact display box topics include: American Indians, an enslaved washerwoman, sugar refining, Alexandria stoneware, the Civil War, a brewery, and health and beauty.