Walk & Bike the Alexandria Heritage Trail guidebook
Take this 80-page illustrated guidebook with you on your journey. Walk and Bike the Alexandria Heritage Trail: a Guide to Exploring a Virginia Town’s Hidden Past, by City Archaeologist Pamela J. Cressey, contains maps of each trail segment and historical and archaeological information about 110 locations on the Heritage Trail. This book is out of print, but is still be available from online resellers.
Heritage Trail Maps
Alexandria Heritage Trail Map: Print an 11x17 map of the full Alexandria Heritage Trail.
Old Town Map: Print an 11x17 map of the Old Town section of the Heritage Trail.
Alexandria Bikeways Map: The 110 locations on the Heritage Trail are marked Alexandria Bikeways: Trails & on-road bike routes in and around Alexandria, Virginia, a map produced by the Office of Transit Services & Programs, Department of Transportation & Environmental Services. Download a copy of the map, or obtain a free printed copy at the Old Town Transit Shop, local bike shops, City Hall (Citizens’ Assistance, first floor), the Alexandria Archaeology Museum, or any City of Alexandria Recreation Center.
Historical markers are being placed a number of locations in the City of Alexandria, on the Alexandria Heritage Trail and beyond. Some of these signs include:
- Timeline of Alexandria History (City Dock behind the Torpedo Factory Art Center, in the shopping arcade on the south end toward King Street)
- 1323 Duke Street -- From Slavery to Freedom and Service (1323 Duke Street)
- The West End (in the African American Heritage Park, Duke Street and Holland Lane)
- Hoof's Run Bridge (in the African American Heritage Park, Duke Street and Holland Lane)
Fort Ward Park
Six signs tell the story of a post-Civil War African American community. (4301 West Braddock Road)
- From Civil War to Civil Rights. A timeline of the African American community, "The Fort," established here from after the Civil War and continuing into the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s.
- African Americans and the Civil War. Fleeing, fighting and working for freedom.
- Within Its Walls -- A Foundation for Education and Opportunity. The community's children were educated in the one-room "Colored School Building at Seminary, and later at the Seminary School for African Americans.
- The Oakland Baptist Church. Several members of The Fort were founders of the Oakland Baptist Church.
- The Oakland Baptist Church Cemetery. Originally a small family cemetery, the land was conveyed to the Oakland Baptist Church in 1939.
- The Jackson Cemetery. In 1884, James F. Jackson purchased the largest parcel in The Fort. The Jacksons later established a cemetery on part of the land.
Chinquapin Village was built for workers at the Torpedo Factory. (3210 King Street)
- The Story of Chinquapin
- A World War II Village
- Fun in the Forest
- Life of a Creek
- A Chinquapin House
- Mills and Molasses
Del Ray and the Town of Potomac
Eight Trail Signs were installed in 2008, on the 100th anniversary of this early streetcar suburb.
- The Town of Potomac (Mount Vernon Avenue)
- Mount Vernon Avenue (Farmer’s Market, East Oxford & Mount Vernon avenues)
- The Electric Railway (Mount Vernon Community School, 2601 Commonwealth Avenue, on the west side)
- Schools in the Town of Potomac (Mount Vernon Community School, 2601 Commonwealth Avenue, on the Mount Vernon Avenue side
- St. Asaph Racetrack (Charles Hill Park, East Oxford & DeWitt avenues)
The Bluemont Line (Mount Jefferson Park, 200 block of East Raymond Avenue)
- The Alexandria Almshouse (Simpson Stadium Park, 426 East Monroe Avenue)
- Potomac Town Hall and Firehouse (Fire Station 202, 213 East Windsor Avenue)
Potomac Yard Park
Seven signs tell the history of this area, once the largest rail switching yard on the east coast. (2501 Potomac Avenue)
- Virginia's First Highways. Native Americans in the area of Potomac Yard.
- The Alexanders and Agriculture. The first European land owners.
- Building Potomac Yard. The Yard opened in 1906.
- The People of Potomac Yard. As many as 1,500 employees worked at Potomac Yard.
- Crossroads of Transportation. Roads, passenger rail and the Canal also crossed through the Yard.
- The Rail Yard Hump. The Hump played a crucial role in switching and classifying the freight cars.
- Potomac Yard in Transition. The Yard closed in 1982, and is the site of ongoing development of homes and businesses along Route 1 in Alexandria and Arlington.
Star-spangled Banner Trail
Three signs are located in Alexandria as part of the Star-Spangled Banner Trail, developed by the National Park Service, commemorate the War of 1812.
- "Raise the White Flag" (Waterfront Park, 1a Prince Street)
- "Plundered" (Torpedo Factory arcade, 101 N. Union Street, near the Timeline)
- "Fighting Back" (Base of Shuter's Hill, across from the Callahan Drive crosswalk)
Visit 17 historic markers at 1 Jones Point Drive, at the end of South Royal Street.
- These historic markers were placed at Jones Point Park by the National Park Service.
Look for a series of historic signs on the waterfront walkway at Ford's Landing, at the east end of Franklin Street.
- Historic signs mark the site of Keith's Wharf, between Powhatan Park and Jones Point Park.