Volunteering at the Black History Museum
If you can help us with any of the activities listed below, please indicate your preferences on the Volunteer Application.
Covid-19 Operation Guidelines
The Office of Historic Alexandria established the following guidelines to ensure consistent operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff will regularly re-evaluate them based on safety and available staffing levels and as the region moves through Phase 3 of the Forward Virginia plan. Includes guidelines for guided tours, volunteers, rentals, public programs and events, and on-site research and collections use by the public.
Some of the listed activities are not always available. Other volunteer opportunities are available at many other sites in Alexandria. You may apply to volunteer at other City museums through the Office of Historic Alexandria Volunteer Opportunities Page.
- Greet visitors and answer questions about the site
- Give tours of the Black History Museum, Freedom House Museum, and African American Heritage Park
- Help with events
- Assist with cataloging books for the Watson Reading Room
- Assist staff with general administrative duties
- Work in the museum’s collection storage area
- Act as independent research assistant for the Museum, doing research at different historic sites and libraries in the metropolitan area
- Newsletter production
- Grant writing
- Oral History interviewing
- Create children’s programming