Battery H Hospital, located on a section of Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va. (Pendleton Street is located at the far right.)
This section of the Quartermaster map shows a hospital and hospital tents.
Battery H Today (from Google Maps.)
History of Battery H Hospital
1st Independent PA Regiment
907 Pendleton Street
The Battery H hospital building was made of wood siding, with hospital tents behind it. Other buildings made up the compound, spreading from Pendleton to Wythe, and between N. Patrick and N. Alfred Streets. Battery H served in Alexandria from March 1863 until January 1865. Seven men of Battery H died of disease during the war.
Independent Battery H, Light Artillery, was organized in the area of Pittsburgh, PA, on August 5, 1861. The Battery was attached to the Defenses of Washington and served at Fort Barry until December, 1862. After serving in Maryland and the District of Columbia, the men were sent to Alexandria, where they served provost duty under General Slough for the duration of the war. Independent batteries did not have regimental affiliations. They mustered into the U.S. Volunteer Service and were assigned to larger units.
- Source:CivilWarArchive.com. The source for the Civil War Archive website is Frederick H. Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, Part 3, The Dyer Publishing Company, Cedar Rapids, 1909. This work was compiled by a Civil War veteran from the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies and additional sources.
- Title: Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va.
- Creator: Charles Magnus, publisher
- Image Source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
- Image Date: 1863
- Medium: Colored Lithograph
- Library of Congress Reproduction Number: LC-USZ62-348
- Library of Congress Call Number: PGS - Magnus--Birds eye view
- Library of Congress Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication
The Quartermaster map shows a hospital on Pendleton Street, with hospital tents behind it. The map also shows Sutlers private quarters and a sink (privy).
Location and the Site Today
Battery H Hospital was located at approximately 907 Pendleton Street, between Alfred and Patrick Streets. Mid-twentieth century houses, built for World War II workers, now occupy the site.
- See the location today on Google Maps.
- Civil War Hospitals Map (pdf)
- More Union Hospitals
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals, interactive StoryMap
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals Walking Tour Brochure