McVeigh Hospital

The McVeigh Hospital occupied the home of a wealthy Alexandria businessman and Confederate sympathizer.

Page updated on Mar 8, 2020 at 2:05 PM
McVeigh and Hallowell Hospitals, Bird's Eye View McVeigh Hospital, located on a section of Magnus'  Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va. (Library of Congress).
Quartermaster Map: McVeigh Quartermaster map showing McVeigh Hospital. Note the Dead House and Pump to the right of the hospital building, and the octagonal sink (privy) next to the stables.
McVeigh Hospital TodayThe site of McVeigh Hospital was a parking lot for many years, before recent development.
Civil War Hospitals Map: McVeigh

History of McVeigh Hospital

Northeast corner of Cameron and N. St. Asaph Streets 

The McVeigh Hospital opened on November 20, 1862 in the home of a wealthy Alexandria businessman. It was part of the the 3rd Division General Hospital, and operated until February 25, 1865. William N. McVeigh and his family left the city for Richmond, and he was tried in absentia in 1863 for secessionist activities. There is information on two African Americans who worked at McVeigh Hospital. Hezekia Ages, a former slave, worked at “policing” (ie., cleaning) the McVeigh Hospital in early 1863, and later worked for the Freedmen’s Bureau at the Contrabands Cemetery. Mary Ann Thompson, a nurse, worked at McVeigh Branch Hospital in 1864, and later at Slough Barracks and L’Ouverture Hospital (Dennee 2008).

McVeigh Hospital is mentioned in the accounts of several Union Soldiers, including Jerome B. Satterlee, of Albany, NY. Satterlee enlisted in the 44th NY Volunteer Infantry, known as the “Ellsworth Avengers,” in 1861. He was captured at Gaines’ Mill in June 1862, and held for three months at Libby Prison. He lost nearly 50 pounds from illness while imprisoned and was hospitalized several times. In letters home, he mentions that while at McVeigh Hospital, he recovered enough to serve there as a night watchman and male nurse. (Satterlee 1961-65).

After the war, Mr. McVeigh returned to Alexandria and was involved in two court cases that were brought before the Supreme Court. The first, The United States vs. McVeigh, in 1871, related to the taking of his home under the Civil War Confiscation Acts (Syrett 2005). The second, in 1878, Bank v. McVeigh, related to promissory notes where the endorser left his home to live within the confederacy. (See Justia.com.)

Sources: 

Historic Image

Quartermaster Map

The quartermaster map shows the buildings including the hospital, dead house and privy.

Location and the Site Today

McVeigh Hospital was located on the Northeast corner of Cameron and North Saint Asaph Streets, now a parking lot.

Top