Image 1: Prince Street, West of Columbus, Capacity 95. (The Photographic History of the Civil War in Ten Volumes.)
Image 2: In 1884, the hospital building became the hall of the Robert E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans. This image shows veterans at Camp Hall in 1896. (Courtesy, Alexandria Library/Special Collections.).
Image 3: Prince Street Hospital, located on a section of Magnus' Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va.
Prince Street Hospital today.
History of the Prince Street Hospital
806 Prince Street
This was originally a private residence, built in the 1850s by Rev. James T. Johnston who was the rector of St. Paul’s Church. Johnson, like many other Alexandrians, moved to Richmond during the war. From March, 1862, to Sept. 20, 1862, this hospital was a branch of the General Hospital (Mansion House). It then became a branch of the 2nd Division General Hospital (Alexandria), together with the Fowle (Powell) house on the opposite sides of Prince St. (Source: Civil War DC Website from National Archives data.)
An article in the Alexandria Gazette, May 20, 1864 (reprinted in The Alexandria Chronicle), described the Prince Street Hospital and a nearby garden used by the soldiers.
The house is commodious, and, for a confiscated dwelling, is very fine.... Almost opposite this Prince-street Hospital lies a mansion and garden, which, if we understood our informant right, belongs to a relative of the late owner of the Johnston House. The garden is a beautiful and spacious garden, affording a delightful place of repose to those who have tasted the dangers and distress of the battlefields and have experienced all the unutterable pangs that even under the most favorable circumstances beset hospital life.
“The U.S. Hospitals in Alexandria.” Alexandria Chronicle, The Alexandria Historical Society, Spring 1995, pp. 23-24.
In 1884, the building became the hall of the Robert E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans, and it is now the Robert E. Lee Camp Hall Museum.
- More Information: R.E. Lee Camp Hall. Out of the Attic, January 14, 2010.
- Title: Prince Street, West of Columbus, Capacity 95
- Image Source:The Photographic History of the Civil War in Ten Volumes. Francis Trevelyan Miller, Editor in Chief, Volume Seven, Prisons and Hospitals. New York, The Review of Reviews Co., 1911. P. 235.
- Image Date: 1861-1865.
- Medium: Photograph
- Rights Advisory: Out of Copyright
- Title: Robert E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans, 1896
- Image Source: Alexandria Library/Special Collections. William H. Smith Collection, #615
- Image Date: 1896
- Medium: Photograph
- Rights Advisory: Courtesy, Alexandria Library. Not to be reproduced without permission.
- Title: Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va.
- Creator: Charles Magnus, publisher
- Image Source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
- Image Date: 1863
- Medium: Colored Lithograph
- Library of Congress Reproduction Number: LC-USZ62-348
- Library of Congress Call Number: PGS - Magnus--Birds eye view
- Library of Congress Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication
No Quartermaster map available
Location and the Site Today
The hospital, at 806 Prince Street, is now the Robert E. Lee Camp Hall Museum, operated by the Mary Custis Lee – 17th Virginia Regiment Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The museum is open to the public.
- See the location today on Google Maps.
- Civil War Hospitals Map (pdf)
- More Union Hospitals
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals, interactive StoryMap
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals Walking Tour Brochure