|The Friends "Quaker" Meeting House, located on a section of Magnus' Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va .|
|Today, the Little Theatre of Alexandria occupies the site.|
History of Friends Meeting House Hospital
600 Wolfe Street
The Friends "Quaker" Meeting House was built in 1811. During the war, it was used as a hospital for First Division. Thirty-one patients at this hospital joined together to present a gold watch and chain to assistant surgeon Dr. Leon Hammond. (James Barber, Alexandria in the Civil War, H.E. Howard, publ., University of Virginia, 1988, pp. 400.)
After the war, the Alexandria Friends Society nearly dissolved and the property was leased for a school, and then a church. The second floor collapsed and the building was demolished in the 1880s.
An image labeled Friends' Meeting-House in The Photographic History of the Civil War in Ten Volumes is misidentified, and instead shows the Tuscan Villa and neighboring Wolfe Street Hospital across St. Asaph Street from the Quaker Meeting House.
- Title: Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va.
- Creator: Charles Magnus, publisher
- Image Source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division
- Image Date: 1863
- Medium: Colored Lithograph
- Library of Congress Reproduction Number: LC-USZ62-348
- Library of Congress Call Number: PGS - Magnus--Birds eye view
- Library of Congress Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication
No Quartermaster map available.
Location and the Site Today
The building, at 600 Wolfe Street, was demolished in the 1880s. The Little Theatre of Alexandria now occupies the site.
- See the location today on Google Maps.
- Civil War Hospitals Map (pdf)
- More Union Hospitals
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals, interactive StoryMap
- Alexandria Civil War Hospitals Walking Tour Brochure