Second Presbyterian Church Hospital

Second Presbyterian Church was confiscated for use as a hospital for the Provost Guard.

Page updated on Mar 8, 2020 at 2:08 PM
Second Presbyterian Church Hospital (cropped) Image 1: Second Presbyterian Church, with peaked roof and columns, only partially visible in this section cropped from photo of General Slough’s headquarters, by Andrew Russell. Library of Congress.
Grace, Prince Street, Lyceum on Bird's Eye View

Image 2: Second Presbyterian Church Hospital, identified along with other hospitals on a section of Magnus' Birdseye view of Alexandria, Va.  Library of Congress.

Second Presbyterian Church Hospital, Quartermaster Map Detail from Quartermaster Map 12.
Second Presbyterian Church Hospital Today The hospital was located on the NW Corner Prince and S. St. Asaph Streets. Today, the old church building is used for offices.
Civil War Hospitals Map: Second Presbyterian Church

History of the Second Presbyterian Church Hospital

NW Corner Prince and S. St. Asaph Streets

The church was built in the Greek Revival style in 1840. During the war it was used as a hospital for the Provost Guard, forerunners to the U.S. Military Police.  

A new facade was added in the 1880s, and in recent years the building has been used as retail and office space.

Historic Images

Image 1:


Image 2:  

Quartermaster Map

The hospital is included on Quartermaster Map 12.

Location and the Site Today

The Hospital was located on the NW Corner Prince and S. St. Asaph Streets. Today, the old church building is used for offices. 

Top