OPEN: Gadsby's Tavern Museum
We are excited that Gadsby’s
Tavern Museum reopened to the public for tours on August 7.
For the City of Alexandria’s COVID updates and resources, visit alexandriava.gov/Coronavirus.
Covid-19 Operation Guidelines
The Office of Historic Alexandria established the following guidelines to ensure consistent operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff will regularly re-evaluate them through the remainder of 2020 based on available staffing levels and as the region moves through Phase 3 of the Forward Virginia plan. Includes guidelines for guided tours, volunteers, rentals, public programs and events, and on-site research and collections use by the public.
As OHA museums reopen, they will initially operate at 25% capacity and will require purchase of tickets in advance at The Alexandria Shop.
To promote physical distancing, you may be asked to wait in the gift shop and admitted as space permits. To guarantee an entry time, purchase a timed entrance pass in The Alexandria Shop prior to arrival and receive a discount off of admission. Alexandria residents and Society members can visit for free. If you have purchased a Key to the City ticket, you will have the option to schedule the time of your visit. Please bring your Key to the City ticket to be redeemed.
Gadsby’s Tavern Museum will open Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sundays 1-4 p.m.
Come tour the Museum at your own pace and immerse yourself in the spaces and stories of the tavern. Take a selfie with the “Learned Pig.” Reenact a ball as you dance to music in the ballroom. While touring, you’ll learn how all social classes and people—free and enslaved, men and women, African American and white—were part of not just the tavern but the creation of Alexandria and the young nation.
We have enacted additional measures to ensure the safety of our visitors and staff. We ask that visitors:
- Wash hands upon arrival at the hand-sanitizing station at the entrance.
- Wear a face covering while visiting as required by the Commonwealth of Virginia (exceptions include children under 10 and people with health conditions that do not allow them to wear face coverings).
- Follow one-way traffic patterns through the museum and maintain physical distancing.
- Limit group sizes to 10 people or less.
- Credit card payments are the preferred method of payment for museum shop purchases.
- To help keep our spaces clean, we ask guests to refrain from touching exhibits and displayed materials.
Museum staff are implementing safety standards based on Department of Health recommendations, including:
- Requiring all staff wear face coverings in the building.
- Enhancing daily cleaning, including disinfecting high-touch surfaces throughout the day.
- Providing hand sanitizer throughout the museum.
- Restricting admission to timed entry to ensure physical distancing.
- Installing plexiglass at shop counters.
Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at at Gadsby’s Tavern Museum!