Museums are beginning to reopen in accordance with the Commonwealth’s Forward Virginia Plan.
See more about days and hours, timed tickets (where applicable) and safety measures:
Covid-19 Operation Guidelines
The Office of Historic Alexandria established the following guidelines to ensure consistent operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff will regularly re-evaluate them through the remainder of 2020 based on available staffing levels and as the region moves through Phase 3 of the Forward Virginia plan. Includes guidelines for guided tours, volunteers, rentals, public programs and events, and on-site research and collections use by the public.
- Covid-19 Operation Guidelines
- For additional information about the City of Alexandria’s actions, visit alexandriava.gov/Coronavirus.
The following properties are currently closed. Note that several of our museums are undergoing maintenance and renovation during this period of low visitation.
- Alexandria Black History Museum (closed for renovation)
- Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum (closed for renovation)
- Archives and Records Center
- Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site (closed for renovation)
- Freedom House Museum (closed for renovation)
- Friendship Firehouse
In the meantime, we invite the public to explore the history of Alexandria through its online resources. These resources include:
- #HistoricALX2U Miss visiting your favorite Historic Alexandria sites? Looking for some fun historic activities to share with your kids at home? Let our staff bring history virtually to you!
- 30-Day Challenge: Alexandria EJI edition Build your social justice muscles this summer! As our nation and city come to terms with their legacies of racial injustice, take the 30-Day Challenge to learn, listen, explore, and act to make positive change.
- Educational Resources
- Watch Lectures Online
Historic Locations Through Wayfinding Signs
and Secondary Resources at Gadsby’s
- Apothecary Archival Collection
- Historic Alexandria Collections Online
Program Themes at Gadsby’s
Alexandria Online Lesson Resources
Archaeology Adventure Lessons
- Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery