Museums are beginning to reopen in accordance with the Commonwealth’s Forward Virginia Plan.The following properties are now open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. See more about hours, timed tickets (where applicable) and safety measures.
Covid-19 Operation Guidelines
The Office of Historic Alexandria established the following guidelines to ensure consistent operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff will regularly re-evaluate them through the remainder of 2020 based on available staffing levels and as the region moves through Phase 3 of the Forward Virginia plan. Includes guidelines for guided tours, volunteers, rentals, public programs and events, and on-site research and collections use by the public.
- Covid-19 Operation Guidelines
- For additional information about the City of Alexandria’s actions, visit alexandriava.gov/Coronavirus.
The following properties are currently closed:
- Alexandria Black History
- Archives and Records Center
- Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site
- Freedom House
- Friendship Firehouse
- Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
In the meantime, we invite the public to explore the history of Alexandria through its online resources. These resources include:
- #HistoricALX2U Miss visiting your favorite Historic Alexandria sites? Looking for some fun historic activities to share with your kids at home? Let our staff bring history virtually to you!
- 30-Day Challenge: Alexandria EJI edition Build your social justice muscles this summer! As our nation and city come to terms with their legacies of racial injustice, take the 30-Day Challenge to learn, listen, explore, and act to make positive change.
Historic Locations Through Wayfinding Signs
and Secondary Resources at Gadsby’s
- Apothecary Archival Collection
- Historic Alexandria Collections Online
Program Themes at Gadsby’s
Alexandria Online Lesson Resources
Archaeology Adventure Lessons
- Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery