The Alexandria Heritage Trail is a unique 23-mile urban trail, exploring Alexandria’s archaeology and history. Explore the sites, and look for Trail Signs at some locations. The guidebook (now out of print), Walk and Bike the Alexandria Heritage Trail, will enhance your experience.
Experience History from the comforts of your cell phone!
Alexandria is known for its centuries of history. Information about many of its historic sites can be found by dialing 703.229.8632 and keying ithe number of the historic location. See instructions and a list of 22 sites to visit.
- Alexandria Civil War Defenses of Washington Bike Trail : A map, cue sheet and information on Civil War sites are provided for self-guided bike rides. The Civil War Defenses of Washington Bike Trail is one way in which Alexandria, surrounding jurisdictions and the National Park Service are marking the Civil War Sesquicentennial.
- Discover the War of 1812 on the Star-Spangled Bike Tour: Visit places where the events of the five-day British occupation of Alexandria occurred in late August 1814, on this 6.6 mile tour. Tour information includes Cue Sheet and printable or interactive maps. Three Star-Spangled Banner signs are located in Alexandria. " Raise the White Flag" is installed in Waterfront Park. " Plundered" located in the Torpedo Factory arcade, near the Timeline. " Fighting Back" is at the base of Shuter's Hill, across from the Callahan Drive crosswalk.
- The Alexandria Bikeways map of trails and on-road bike routes is now available online. To obtain a printed copy, stop by your local bike shop, the Old Town Transit Shop, City Hall, or any of our recreation centers. The map is free!
- Check the calendar for occasional guided historic bike tours.
Want to explore historic Alexandria's Civil War heritage? Download this free iPhone app and take it along as you tour Alexandria. Learn about Alexandria history through this comprehensive and convenient app that takes you to Civil War forts, hospitals, cemeteries, museums and other interesting places. The Civil War Alexandria iPhone app was developed by the Office of Historic Alexandria and Tour Buddy, and is available through the iTunes Store.
Civil War Hospitals
Learn about the many buildings in that were used as hospitals during the Civil War, when the Union Army occupied Alexandria.
- Interactive Map. The 23 hospitals located in Old Town Alexandria are shown on this GIS Story Map. Visit this link on your Smart Phone.
- Walking Tour Brochure. Print this brochure and bring it with you as you walk or bike around Alexandria.
Podcast Walking Tours
The City of Alexandria has many interesting and enjoyable sites that are easy to access on foot. Get the most out of your stroll! Visit Tours of Alexandria on the City's podcasts page to download the following audio tours:
- Walking Tour of Historic Old Town Alexandria
- Women’s History Walk
Alexandria Historical Scavenger Hunt is a 2-3 hour, 20-block walk that meanders through Old Town with stops at some of the city’s oldest and most historic addresses. Some stops require entrance to museums, so try to begin your scavenger hunt after 10:00, when they open. None of the clues require entering a museum that charges an admission fee. A numbers of stops are private residences; clues to these sites are found on exterior plaques, so please be careful not to disturb the residents.
Two brochures will lead you to significant locations in Alexandria's African American history, including churches, schools and the site of the first Sit-down Strike. Many of these sites are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- A Remarkable Journey: A Guide to Alexandria’s African American History
- African American Historic Sites: Self Guided Tour
Walking with Washington
Walking with Washington is a self-guided walking tour of 21 Alexandria sites associated with George Washington. Print the brochure for a map and information on the sites. This short walking tour, produced by Robert Madison for the Alexandria Archaeology Museum, is extracted from his larger work, Walking with Washington: Walking Tours of Alexandria, Virginia, Featuring Over 100 Sites Associated with George Washington, for sale at the The Alexandria Shop.
Walking Tour of Jewish Alexandria
Upper Old Town Self-Guided Walking Tour
This brochure was created for Historic Alexandria as an Eagle Scout project.