Volunteering with Historic Alexandria Museums
Hundreds of volunteers provide their time, skills and expertise each year to assist in many areas of work within the Office of Historic Alexandria and its museums and historic sites. Study artifacts, conduct museum tours, use your computer skills, tabulate research findings – these are only a few of the dozens of ways to contribute your time, talents and energy.
Select a Museum
Learn about volunteer opportunities at City of Alexandria museums and programs, and fill out an on-line volunteer application for the museum where you would like to work.
- Alexandria Archaeology Museum
- Alexandria Black History Museum
- Archives and Records Center
- Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site
- Gadsby's Tavern Museum
- Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
- The Lyceum: Alexandria’s History Museum
The following museums are not operated by the City of Alexandria but do use volunteers. Contact these museums directly or check with Volunteer Alexandria.
Select an Activity
Would you like to:
- Work on an archaeological site? An orientation is usually scheduled for late spring. Check with Archaeology .
- Conduct guided tours? Try Black History, Gadsby's Tavern, The Lyceum or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum
- Greet visitors and help them enjoy Alexandria more? Opportunities may be available at Black History, Fort Ward or The Lyceum.
- Work with our museum collections? Opportunities may be available at Archives, Black History, The Lyceum or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum.
- Help with research? Contact Archaeology .
- Work with school children, or other special tour groups? Any of the museums may be able to use your help.
- Assist with Special Events? Archaeology , Black History, Gadsby's Tavern, or the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary may need your help.
- Conduct Oral History interviews or prepare transcriptions? Contact Archaeology .
- Write State, Federal or local grants to help support our museums? Experience required – please contact The Lyceum or OHA Administration.
Not all sites or volunteer positions have space available, but museum staff will contact you in response to your application.
Other Ways to Support Historic Alexandria
Whether or not you volunteer, there are other ways to support history in Alexandria.
- Join a Friends Group.
- Sign up for eNews.
- Shop in our Museum Stores, in person or online.
- Make tax-deductible contributions to our museums through our Friends groups or online through the The Alexandria Shop.
- Tell us about objects, documents or photographs that you may have that are relevant to local history.
- Share your memories and stories of living and growing up in Alexandria, through our oral history project, Alexandria Legacies. Contact the Alexandria Archaeology Museum at 703.746.4399.