Reopening Soon: The Alexandria History Museum at the Lyceum
We are excited that the Historic Alexandria’s museums
will be reopening soon! The Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum will open in July followed by Gadsby’s Tavern Museum opening later in the summer
For additional information about the City of Alexandria’s actions, visit alexandriava.gov/Coronavirus.
As we reopen, museums will initially operate at 25% capacity and will require purchase of timed tickets in advance (watch this space for future information on where to purchase advanced tickets). The Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum will open Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sundays 1-5 p.m. for the initial opening and will add more days later in the summer. be able to tour our exhibit galleries, enjoy our museum shop, and enjoy our new special exhibition, “Witnessing Worship: A Photographic Study of Faith in Alexandria.”
When we reopen, we will enact a few measures to ensure the safety of or visitors and staff. We ask that visitors:
- Wash hands upon arrival (in museum restrooms or at hand-sanitizing station at the entrance).
- Wear a face covering while visiting as required by the Commonwealth of Virginia (exceptions include children under 10 and people with health conditions that do not allow them to wear face coverings).
- Follow one-way traffic patterns through the museum and maintain physical distancing.
- Limit group sizes to less than ten people.
- Be prepared to pay for museum shop purchases with a credit card only.
- Please do not touch exhibits or displays.
Museum staff are implementing safety standards based on Department of Health recommendations, including
- Requiring all staff wearing face coverings in the building.
- Enhanced daily cleaning, including disinfecting high-touch surfaces throughout the day.
- Providing hand sanitizer and tissues throughout the museum.
- Restricting admission to timed entry to ensure physical distancing.
- Installing plexiglass sneeze guards at shop counters.
Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you when the Alexandria History Museum at The Lyceum opens soon!