Welcome to the Office of Housing!
We provide a range of services to homeowners, renters, homebuyers, landlords and property managers and collaborate with development partners to preserve and create affordable and accessible housing options across the City of Alexandria. Please download our housing resource guide in English, Spanish, Amharic, or Arabic, visit our resource links, and check out what's new! For information about public housing and the Housing Choice (Section 8) Voucher Program, please contact the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
A portion of the City's housing activities are funded through annual grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's CDBG and HOME programs (check out our video!). The Office of Housing also works with programs funded and/or administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and the Virginia Housing Development Authority.
- Draft FY 2018 Action Plan for Housing and Community Development released
- Amendment to affordable housing Bonus Density Program proposed
- Affordable units now available at Southern Towers
+ much more!
City recognizes April as Fair Housing month—In recognition of the passage of the federal Fair Housing Act in 1968, the month of April was declared Fair Housing Month. The Office of Housing sponsored following activities:
- A training for condominium communities and homeowners associations on how to comply with the federal Fair Housing Act and Virginia’s Fair Housing Law. Download our flyer to learn more.
- A fair housing poster contest for Beauregard-area elementary school students. Click here to learn more.
- A fair housing certification seminar for property managers and real estate professionals. Download our flyer or click here to learn more.
The Office of Housing conducts fair housing testing in Alexandria’s housing market to determine the potential presence of discriminatory sales, leasing and/or lending practices. Learn more about our Fair Housing Testing Program. Staff also provide training on federal, state and local fair housing laws to real estate and property management companies upon request.
How to Get Involved and Stay Informed!
The Office of Housing is organized into three divisions. Click here to learn more.