Due to limited funding the City is currently only accepting new applications from: Alexandria residents who are facing eviction.
Have you received a 5- or 14-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit Property, Court Summons, or Eviction Notice?
The City of Alexandria is providing emergency eviction prevention assistance to assist City renters experiencing housing insecurity due to COVID-19 related loss of income. Funds will be provided directly to property owners on behalf of eligible tenants. To apply for assistance, please review the Application Process below. There is no application fee, and assistance is available for free throughout the application process call 703.746.4990.
Please let your landlord know they can also apply directly for you at VirginiaHousing.com/RMRP.
For additional programs and assistance, please contact the Department of Community and Human Services at 703.746.5700.
NEW! Data on the City’s COVID-19 Emergency Rent Relief Assistance Program's performance is now available.
Step 1: If you are facing eviction please call 703.746.4990 during City business hours.
Step 2: Your pre-application will be reviewed by staff for eligibility.
Step 3: If found to be eligible, you be sent a complete application. If found to be ineligible, you will receive additional information for help during this unusual time.
Step 4: Once your complete three-part application (including supporting documentation) has been submitted, your application will be reviewed based on eligibility criteria. If approved, funds are disbursed to your landlord following verification.
To be eligible, households must meet the following criteria:
- Live in the City of Alexandria;
- Document loss of income directly related to COVID-19;
- Are facing eviction: Have received a 5 or 14-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit Property, Court Summons, or Eviction Notice; and
- Have a gross monthly household income, adjusted for household size, at or below:
- Have liquid assets, such as cash on hand and savings (documented through bank or other statements), that do not exceed the limits below:
|Household size||Maximum Monthly Household Income (before taxes)|
|Household size||Asset Limits|
Who is not eligible, generally:
- Households with a tenant-based voucher
- Households residing in project-based voucher communities
- Households residing in public housing
- Households receiving other government-based rental assistance, including through the COVID-19 Community Development Block Grant Rent Relief Program
For additional information, please see the program's Frequently Asked Questions, or call 703.746.4990.
Forms: Full application packages are available in English, Spanish, Amharic, and Arabic. Individual forms: English: Application, Authorization to Use and Exchange Information and Landlord Authorization. Spanish: Application, Authorization to Use and Exchange Information and Landlord Authorization. Arabic: Application, Authorization to Use and Exchange Information and Landlord Authorization. Amharic: Application, Authorization to Use and Exchange Information and Landlord Authorization.
If you would like to receive a hardcopy application, please contact the Office of Housing at 703.746.4990 to set up an appointment with a case worker.
Other COVID-19 Housing Resources
For a comprehensive listing of renter, homeowner, and landlord resources available to address the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, visit
COVID-19 Housing Resources.