Affordable and Accessible Rental Units
The Office of Housing provides housing counseling services for persons seeking affordable rental and accessible housing in the City. To learn more, contact Vicente Espinoza, Caridad Palerm, or Goodman Okpara at 703-746-4990. To receive email alerts when affordable rental units become available, please sign up for the City’s eNews Affordable Housing Opportunities notices.
- For information on affordable (assisted) rental housing options, download the City's Assisted Housing List.
- NEW! To learn about affordable studio and one-bedroom units available now at Southern Towers, click here.
- To search for affordable and accessible rental housing across the State of Virginia, click here.
- To compare apartment properties with ten or more units, download the City's 2016 Apartment Survey. The 2017 Survey will be posted shortly!
Housing Choice (Section 8) Vouchers
The Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority manages the City’s Housing Choice Voucher Program. For information, please contact Cindy Thompson at 703-549-7115.
The Office of Housing offers
information, coordination and other relocation assistance to residents of the
Beauregard Area who are impacted by the potential redevelopment of existing
garden apartment buildings. To learn more, contact Caridad Palerm at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-746-3079.
This program provides technical assistance and grants up to $50,000 to assist low- and moderate-income renters (meeting the Tier 1 HUD Income Limits) with physical disabilities complete accessibility modifications to their primary residences. The program also provides "mini-grants" of up to $1,500 to assist renters needing limited modifications. Landlords are encouraged to make funded modifications permanent. To learn more, download our RAMP Brochure here or contact Brandi Collins at email@example.com or 703-746-3084.
VHDA Rental Unit Accessibility Modification Program
City residents may also be eligible for the VHDA Rental Unit Accessibility Modification Grant Program. The Office of Housing is a designated Community Agent for VHDA and can assist City renters in completing and submitting the required application. For more information, contact Brandi Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-746-3084.
The Office of Housing provides housing-related mediation between landlords and tenants by mutual agreement. To learn more, contact Melodie Seau at email@example.com or 703-746-4990.
- Download the Guide to Landlord-Tenant Laws & Policies to learn about tenants and landlord rights and responsibilities within the City.
The Department of Community and Human Services runs the Eviction Storage program which provides furniture storage and emergency shelter referrals for eligible low-income households facing immediate eviction. To learn more, contact DCHS at 703-746-5700.
To identify problems and promote compliance with fair housing laws, the Office of Housing conducts fair housing testing to determine the presence of discrimination in the rental and sales housing markets and in mortgage lending. To learn more, contact Goodman Okpara at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-746-4990.
- To read our 2016 report on the City’s Fair Housing Testing Program, click here.