Affordable Housing Contribution Procedures and Guidelines
- Download the 2019 Procedures Regarding Affordable Housing Contributions to learn about opportunities to contribute to the City’s Housing Trust Fund and/or provide affordable housing units. Learn about the impact of the Housing Trust Fund. For more information, contact Tamara Jovovic at email@example.com or 703-746-3097.
- NEW! An Update to the City's Policies and Procedures was approved by City Council on December 12, 2020, and subsequently amended on January 26, 2021. The Update addresses projects seeking density in excess of density envisioned by an underlying small area plan; senior housing projects (continuum of care facilities and independent living communities); and commercial to residential conversions. Download the summary to learn more.
- NEW! 2021 affordable housing contribution rates are now available.
|Land Use Categories (please refer to the Procedures for applicability provisions and exemptions)||2021 Contribution Rates per Net Square Foot|
|Non Residential||$ 2.32|
|Tier 1 Residential (by-right)||$ 3.10|
|Tier 2 Residential||$ 6.21|
|Commercial to Residential Conversions||$ 1.55|
- An Affordable Housing Plan is required in which cases where a projects propose to: 1. Make a housing contribution in the form of affordable housing units (whether required or voluntary); 2. Convert affordable units into a monetary contribution of equivalent value; and/or 3. Locate affordable units of equivalent value off site. Download the Affordable Housing Plan Guidelines to learn more.
Affordable Housing Financing
- Download the Predevelopment Loan Application (revised February 14, 2020) to learn how to apply for City predevelopment funding for affordable housing projects. To learn more, contact Eric Keeler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-746-3085.
- Download the Housing Opportunities Fund (HOF) Application Process and Requirements, Checklist, and Certification and Disclosure Statement (revised February 14, 2020) to learn how to apply for City loan and grant funding for affordable housing projects. To learn more, contact Eric Keeler at email@example.com or 703-746-3085.
- Section 7-700 of the Zoning Ordinance grants bonus density and height in exchange for affordable housing. To learn more, download Section 7-700 here or contact Tamara Jovovic at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-746-3097.
- Section 8-200 of the Zoning Ordinance grants optional parking reductions for affordable housing projects. To learn more, download Section 8-200 here or contact Tamara Jovovic at email@example.com or 703-746-3097.
- On February 23, 2019, the City Council approved Text Amendment #2018-0013 to the Zoning Ordinance to create a new Residential Multifamily zone which provides land areas for multifamily residential development with limited neighborhood serving commercial uses and allows increased floor area in exchange for the provision of affordable housing. To learn more, click
here or contact Tamara Jovovic, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-746-3097.
- Download the Tenant Assistance and Relocation Policy that applies to projects in or proposing to rezone to the RMF Zone.
Income and Rent Limits
- NEW! Download the 2021 Income and Rent Limits here. To learn more, contact Tamara Jovovic at email@example.com or 703-746-3097.
Environmental Assessment Guidelines
- Download the Environmental Assessment Guidelines to learn about federal requirements regarding the National Environmental Policy Act and the Section 106 process. To learn more, contact Kim Cadena at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-746-3104.