- Download the 2019 Landscape Guidelines.
- Landscape Guidelines Industry Training Session - Tuesday, July 16, 2019
The session covered key updates to the 2019 Landscape Guidelines, landscape plan preparation standards and new online tools and resources.
- For reference, download the 2007 Landscape Guidelines. For questions, contact Planning & Zoning at 703.746.4666.
- Green Building in Alexandria
The following links represent the minimum external reference standards for landscape plan submissions to the City of Alexandria.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- American Standard for Nursery Stock by AmericanHort (previously American Nursery and Landscape Association)
- Landscape Contractors Association of MD, DC, and VA
- National Park Service Preservation Brief 36 – Cultural Landscapes
- Virginia Stormwater BMP Clearinghouse
- Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) Regulations
City Standard Landscape Details
The linked landscape details include the minimum requirements for plant construction details on development plans. The details required for an individual project may vary depending on the type of project and site conditions.
- Deciduous Tree Planting
- Evergreen Tree Planting
- Multi-stem Tree Planting
- Tree Planting on Slope
- Street Tree Planting Well
- Tree Planting Strip
- Continuous Soil Panel
- Street Tree Well with Granite Block
- Shrub Planting
- Shrub Planting on Slope
- Groundcover & Perennial Planting
- Groundcover & Perennial Planting on Slope
- Determining Critical Root Zone
- Tree Protection Fence
- Root Pruning
Standard Landscape Plan Notes
The following notes shall be provided on landscape plan submissions for all projects that require approval by the City as outlined in Chapter 3:
- The property owner and/or applicant, specifier, contractor and installer of plant material are responsible for understanding and adhering to the standards set forth in the most recent version of the City of Alexandria Landscape Guidelines and applicable conditions of approval. All questions regarding application of, or adherence to, the standards and/or conditions of approval shall be directed to the City prior to commencement of demolition, construction, or any land disturbing activity.
- The City-approved landscape plan submission, including plant schedule, notes and details shall be the document used for installation purposes and all procedures set forth in the Landscape Guidelines must be followed.
- The contractor shall not interfere with any tree protection measures or impact any existing vegetation identified to be preserved per the approved Tree and Vegetation Protection Plan.
- Any changes, alterations or modifications to the site conditions that affect vegetation protection zones will require an amendment to the approved Tree and Vegetation Protection Plan and/or details.
- Installation of plant material may only occur during the Planting Seasons identified in the Landscape Guidelines.
- In lieu of more strenuous specifications, all landscape related work shall be installed and maintained in accordance with the current and most up-to-date edition (at time of construction) of Landscape Specification Guidelines as produced by the Landscape Contractors Association of Maryland, District of Columbia and Virginia; Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Substitutions to the approved plant material shall not occur until written approval is provided by the City.
- Maintenance for this project shall be performed by the owner, applicant, successor(s) and/or assign(s) in perpetuity and in compliance with City of Alexandria Landscape Guidelines and as conditioned by project approval, as applicable.
In addition to the notes provided above, the following notes shall be provided on landscape plan submissions for all DSP/DSUP projects:
- The approved method(s) of protection must be in place for all vegetation to be preserved on-site and adjacent to the project site pursuant to the approved Tree and Vegetation Protection Plan and details prior to commencement of demolition, construction, or any land disturbance. The applicant shall notify the Planning & Zoning (P&Z) project manager once the tree protection methods are in place. No demolition, construction, or land disturbance may occur until an inspection is performed by the City and written confirmation is provided by the City which verifies correct installation of the tree protection measures.
- The applicant must contact the P&Z project manager prior to commencement of landscape installation/planting operation to schedule a pre-installation meeting. The meeting should be held between the applicant’s general contractor, landscape contractor, landscape architect, the P&Z project manager and the City Arborist (as applicable) to review the scope of installation procedures and processes during and after installation.
- The following information shall be provided to the P&Z project manager at least five (5) business days prior to the landscape pre-installation meeting: 1) A letter that certifies that the project landscape architect performed pre-selection tagging for all trees proposed within the public right of way and on public land prior to installation. This letter must be signed and sealed by the project landscape architect, and 2) A copy of the soil bulk density test report verifying that maximum compression rates are met.
- As-built drawings for this landscape and/or irrigation/water management system will be provided in compliance with City of Alexandria Landscape Guidelines, the City Code of Ordinances, and all applicable plan preparation checklists. As-built drawings shall include clear identification of all variation(s) and changes from approved drawings including location, quantity and specification of all project elements.
PDF of Landscape Plan Notes
Plant Lists and Canopy Coverage Allowances
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive and is an example of acceptable species:
- City of Alexandria Plant Lists and Canopy Coverage Allowances
- Plant tabulations template for canopy coverage, natives, and biodiversity
For further information on Alexandria Natives,
Invasive Plant Lists
Plant species appearing on the following advisory lists are prohibited from use:
- Non-Native Invasive Plants of the City of Alexandria, Virginia
- Virginia Invasive Plant Species List, Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Invasive Species Resources for Virginia, United States Department of Agriculture
- Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council Plant List, Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health
City Plans and Standards Links
The Landscape Guidelines work in conjunction with a number of existing City plans, policies, and guidelines. Links to specific documents are listed below.
- City of Alexandria Code of Ordinances
- City of Alexandria Memos to Industry
- City of Alexandria Zoning Ordinance
- Complete Street Design Guidelines
- Environmental Action Plan
- Green Sidewalks BMP Design Guidelines
- Open Space Master Plan and Update
- Park Facilities Standards Manual
- Planning & Zoning Development Checklist
- Playspace Policy
- Public Art Policy and Implementation Plan
- Natural Resources Management Plan
- Urban Forestry Master Plan
2019 Landscape Guidelines Update Process
- For additional information on the update process, click here.