Many of the City's premier historic sites are owned and operated by the City of Alexandria. The City is charged with the conservation, interpretation and promotion of these links to the past.
- Office of Historic Alexandria
- Plan Your Museum Visit
- Historic Alexandria Calendar of Events
- Self-Guided Tours
- Educational Resources
As George Washington's hometown, Alexandria has more than 140 locations with ties to the nation's first president, along with a host of intimate museums highlighting the beginnings of America.
Parks & Trails
Explore the City's archaeology and history on a unique 23-mile urban trail; help the City to study and preserve historic parks.
Volunteering & Memberships
Looking for a creative outlet or a way to offer your services to the community? Volunteers are asked to donate a minimum number of hours per month and in return they receive training, newsletters, invitations to social functions, lectures, study trips, and other benefits.
- Historic Alexandria Commissions
- Memberships in Historic Alexandria Museums
- Volunteering with Historic Alexandria
These are just a few of the online resources available from our City museums.
- Alexandria History
- Animal Mascots of the Civil War
- Civil War Baseball
- Del Ray & the Town of Potomac
- Family Events
- GIS Tools for the City Archaeologists
- Keeping up to date with The Lyceum
- Preparing for a Ball at Gadsby's Tavern
- Rent the Apothecary Museum
- Summer Camps
- The Lyceum: Alexandria's History Museum
- Voices from the Past