Commonwealth Avenue Bicycle Box and Lane Connection Installed
This month, the City will be connecting the existing bicycle lanes on Commonwealth Avenue north of Mount Vernon Avenue. Currently, the lanes end and are shared through the intersection, and for a few blocks north of Mount Vernon Avenue. In conjunction with the new bike lanes, the existing bicycle box--a painted street marking that designates an area at a signalized intersection for bicycles to pause at the front of the traffic queue--will be enlarged and upgraded with green paint and bike detection symbols. Bike boxes increase the visibility of cyclists and allow them to enter and clear the intersection before motor vehicles.
- Website: Bike Box and Lane Connection Project
WMATA Seeks Input on Hunting Point Line Metrobus Services
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority will host two community meetings to discuss the Hunting Point Lines (Routes 10A, 10E, and 10B) Service Evaluation Study. These meetings are part of ongoing studies to improve Metrobus service on some of the region’s most heavily used bus lines. The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, July 22 from 6 to 8 p.m., at the James Duncan Branch Library, 2501 Commonwealth Ave. The project team will discuss preliminary findings and potential service improvement concepts.
- News Release: Metro Seeks Input on Hunting Point Line Metrobus Services (Route 10A, E, and 10B)
- Website: Metrobus Service Evaluation Studies
City of Alexandria's 11th Annual Outdoor Film Festival
Summer cinema returns to Historic Old Town Alexandria with the 11th Annual Comcast Outdoor Film Festival on Friday, July 19 (“Skyfall”) and Saturday, July 20 (“Rise of the Guardians”) at Waterfront Park, 1 Prince St. The films will be shown on a four-story high movie screen in full HD, under the stars. Popcorn, homemade lemonade, and other food items will be available for sale. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Stop Child Abuse Now (SCAN) of Northern Virginia. All movies begin at dusk (approximately 8:30 p.m.) Admission is free.
Old Town Farmers’ Market Launches Double Dollar Program for SNAP Beneficiaries
Beginning Saturday, July 20, the City of Alexandria’s Old Town Farmers’ Market will begin participating in the Double Dollar program for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) beneficiaries. All SNAP (formerly known as the food stamp program) beneficiaries have to do is visit the market, stop by the information booth to swipe their EBT card, and receive up to $10 in double dollar tokens to use with vendors.
- Website: Farmers’ Markets
- News Release: Old Town Farmers’ Market Introduces Double Dollar Deal for SNAP/EBT Beneficiaries
- Outdoor Film Festival - Skyfall
Jul 19, 2013 - 8:00 PM
- 4th Annual Christmas in July
Jul 20, 2013 - 11:00 AM
- Mayor's Community Forum on the Trayvon Martin Case
Jul 20, 2013 - 12:00 PM
- Community Open House, Black History Museum
Jul 20, 2013 - 2:00 PM
- Outdoor Film Festival - Rise of the Guardians
Jul 20, 2013 - 8:00 PM
- Cinema Del Ray
Jul 20, 2013 - 8:00 PM
- Arlandria Chirilagua Festival
Jul 21, 2013 - 12:00 PM
- BAR Old & Historic Alexandria District Hearing
Jul 24, 2013 - 7:30 PM
- For more events, visit alexandriava.gov/Calendar