Alexandria to Celebrate 35th Annual National Night Out
For Immediate Release: July 31, 2018
NOTE: Listings for Society Hill and Hermitage community events have been updated as indicated below.
On Tuesday, August 7, from 5 to 10 p.m., the Alexandria Police Department, Fire Department, Sheriff’s Office and other City agencies will partner to celebrate the 35th annual National Night Out. This special celebration is part of a nationwide crime and drug prevention effort sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW).
To heighten awareness of crime prevention, residents in more than 30 Alexandria neighborhoods will turn on their porch lights, host neighborhood cookouts and sponsor block parties in support of National Night Out. Members of City Council, City Manager Mark Jinks, Police Chief Michael Brown, Fire Chief Robert Dubé, Sheriff Dana Lawhorne, other City officials, and public safety personnel will reaffirm the City's commitment to keeping the Alexandria community safe and secure.
The Alexandria Police Department's K-9 Unit, Motor Unit, Bike Patrol, Command Bus, Armored Personnel Carrier, and Crime Scene Mobile Lab will tour neighborhoods and offer special demonstrations, and Alexandria Fire Department engines and fire trucks will come to various neighborhoods throughout the city.
National Night Out, a year-round community campaign, is designed to heighten crime prevention awareness; generate support for and participation in local anti-crime programs; strengthen neighborhood spirit and law enforcement community partnerships; and send a message to criminals that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
- 1400-1600 Oakcrest Drive | 6:30-9:30 p.m.
- 413 E. Howell Ave. | 5-9 p.m.
- 500 E. Luray Ave. | 6:30-10 p.m.
500 Block (entire block of East Luray between DeWitt and Leslie)
- ARHA - Charles Houston Recreation Center | 5-8 p.m.
901 Wythe St. (parking lot)
- ARHA - Hopkins-Tancil | 5-8 p.m.
Ruby Tucker Family Center, 322 Tancil Court
- ARHA - Ladrey High Rise | 5-8 p.m.
300 Wythe St.
- ARHA - Princess Square | 5-8 p.m.
1500 Block of Princess St. (rear parking lot)
- ARHA - Quaker Hill Apartments | 5-8 p.m.
Quaker Hill Community Center, 1100 Quaker Hill Drive
- Arlandria | 5:30-8:30 p.m.
The Conservatory at Four Mile Run, 4109 Mt. Vernon Ave.
- Armistead Boothe Park | 5-8 p.m.
520 Cameron Station Blvd.
- Bashford Lane / Michigan Street Community | 6-8 p.m.
700 Avon Place
- Brent Place | 5-7 p.m.
375 S. Reynolds St.
- Canterbury Square | 6-8:30 p.m.
5201 Duke St. (between 20 & 22 Canterbury Square next to the pool)
- Clover-College Park Civic Association | 5-8 p.m.
1000 Vassar Drive (between Yale & Cambridge)
- Del Ray Citizens Association | 5-7:30 p.m.
2701 Commonwealth Ave. (adjacent fields)
- Edsall Bluff Pool Deck | 6:30-9:30 p.m.
6135 Edsall Road
- EOS 21 | 5-7:30 p.m.
16 S. Van Dorn St. (grassy area behind building)
- Fairlington Towne Unit Owners Association | 6-7 p.m.
North Dearing Street (common area behind row of homes in the green space between Jason and Ingalls avenues)
- Father Rankin House | 6:30-8 p.m.
314 Duke St. (courtyard)
- Green House Condominiums | 6-7:30 p.m.
5300 Holmes Run Parkway
- UPDATE: Hermitage | 4-6 p.m.
5000 Fairbanks Ave., main entrance/healthcare entrance
- Hume Springs Citizens Association | 6-8 p.m.
Hume Springs Playground Park,100 Dale St. (between W. Reed Avenue and Dale St.)
- Lennox Place at Sunnyside Courtyard | 6-8 p.m.
Courtland Circle (Lennox Place) Common Area (intersection of Charles Ave., Shorter Lane and Courtland Circle)
- Lincolnia Hills | 6-8 p.m.
933 Moody Court
- Lloyd’s Apartments | 5-8 p.m.
800 Tennessee Ave. (in front of rental office)
- Lynhaven | 6-8 p.m.
Lynhaven Gateway Park (Rock Park), 101 Lynhaven Drive
- North Ridge Citizens Association | 5:30-8:30 p.m.
George Mason Elementary School, 2601 Cameron Mills Road
(Tarmac/playground area behind school)
- Park Place Condominiums | 6-8 p.m.
2500 N. Van Dorn St.
- Place One Condominiums | 6:30-8:30 p.m.
North Van Dorn St. / 5500 Holmes Run Parkway
- Potomac Yard | 6-8 p.m.
(Neighborhood Park near Main Line Blvd., next to Bluemont Ave.)
- Seminary Civic Association | 5:30-8 p.m.
1000 block of N. Quaker Lane (cul-de-sac at Woods Avenue/Place)
- Society Hill | 6-8 p.m.
UPDATE: 3814 Usher Court
- Stone Gate Foundation | 6-8 p.m.
4659 Kinsey Lane
- The Exchange at Van Dorn | 6-8 p.m.
4840 Eisenhower Ave. (area across from the pool and visitor parking)
- Wakefield Tarleton Civic Association | 5:30-9 p.m.
Wakefield Tarleton Neighborhood
- Warwick Village Citizens Association | 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Landover Park, 3301 Landover St.
- Watergate at Landmark Community Center | 6-8 p.m.
211 Yoakum Parkway (multipurpose court next to the tennis courts, behind Building 3, 307 Yoakum Parkway)
*Locations and details are subject to change. Please check alexandriava.gov/Police for further updates.
For more information or media inquiries about National Night Out 2018, contact the Alexandria Police Department Public Information Office at 703.746.6600.
# # #
This news release is available at alexandriava.gov/105294.