Alexandria Metrorail Service Replaced by Shuttle Buses This Weekend, May 4-5
For Immediate Release: May 1, 2019
On Saturday and Sunday, May 4-5, there will be no Blue or Yellow line Metrorail service south of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. Metro will use this weekend closure for the pre-construction activity and staging necessary to begin its Platform Improvement Project on May 25. The Platform Improvement Project will close all Metrorail stations south of the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station, from May 25 through September 8, for platform repairs.
Metro will also use this weekend’s temporary closure of six stations – Braddock Road, King St-Old Town, Eisenhower Ave, Van Dorn Street, Franconia-Springfield, and Huntington – to test weekend shuttle bus operations for the summer project.
This weekend, shuttle buses will replace trains between National Airport and Franconia-Springfield on the Blue Line, and between Crystal City and Huntington on the Yellow Line. The Blue Line Shuttle (operated by DASH) and the Yellow Line Shuttle (operated by Metrobus) will operate as follows:
Blue Line Shuttle (DASH)
- Free shuttle buses will run approximately every 12-15 minutes (weekend frequency) between the Franconia-Springfield, Van Dorn Street, King St-Old Town, and Reagan National Airport Metrorail stations.
- The Blue Line Shuttle will not stop at the Braddock Road Metrorail Station.
- Customers traveling to Braddock Road from points south should transfer at King St-Old Town to the Yellow Line shuttle to continue to Braddock Road.
- Airport travelers, from points south, should use the Blue Line Shuttle.
Yellow Line Shuttle (Metrobus)
- Free shuttle buses will run approximately every 10 minutes between the Huntington, Eisenhower Ave, King St-Old Town, Braddock Road, and Crystal City Metrorail stations.
- The Yellow Line Shuttle will not stop at Reagan National Airport.
- Yellow Line customers traveling to the airport, from points south, should transfer at King St-Old Town to the Blue Line Shuttle to continue to Reagan National Airport or transfer to Metrorail at Crystal City and take a Blue or Yellow line train south to Reagan National Airport.
- Customers traveling to Braddock Road should use the Yellow Line Shuttle.
Express shuttles from Franconia-Springfield to the Pentagon and Huntington to the Pentagon will not operate on May 4 and 5.
For media inquiries, contact Andrea Blackford, Senior Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3959.
# # #
This news release is available at alexandriava.gov/109641.