City of Alexandria to Launch “APEX,” an Improved Online Permitting and Land Use System
City Hall Permit Center Closed October 31-November 1 to Prepare
For Immediate Release: October 29, 2019
On November 4, the City of Alexandria will launch “APEX,” a new permitting and land use application system designed to improve the customer experience, and make it easier to apply for and obtain permits and approvals electronically.
APEX will allow customers to apply for permits and development plan reviews, attach supporting documents and submit payment from computers or mobile devices, eliminating the need to make a trip to City Hall. City staff have worked to identify application and review processes that could be improved with the implementation of the new system.
Some features of APEX include:
- Electronic application, plan submission and review for permits and land use applications.
- Improved communication between staff and customers.
- Real-time status tracking for permit and land use applications.
- Advanced search capabilities.
- Online inspection scheduling, tracking and updates.
- Online payments.
Due to the staff resources necessary to transition to the new system and the need to migrate current data, the following schedule will be in effect:
- Online permit applications will not be accepted from October 28-November 3. Paper applications may be submitted at City Hall during this time.
- The existing Interactive Voice Response (IVR) inspection scheduling system will be deactivated on October 30.
- The City’s multi-department Permit Center (City Hall, Room 4200) will be closed on Thursday, October 31, and Friday, November 1, to prepare for the transition and launch of APEX. The Department of Planning & Zoning (City Hall, Room 2100) will remain open with normal business hours.
- During launch week, the Permit Center will close at 2 p.m. on Monday, November 4, and at 3 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, November 5-8.
- Starting November 11, the Permit Center’s normal hours will be Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except on the first Monday of each month, when the hours will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information about the City’s permitting process, using the new APEX system, or Permit Center hours of operation, visit alexandriava.gov/Permits.
For media inquiries, contact Andrea Blackford, Senior Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3959.
# # #
This news release is available at alexandriava.gov/112016.