Call for Nominations for the Ad Hoc Stormwater Utility and Flood Mitigation Advisory Group
For Immediate Release: February 26, 2021
On January 26, 2021, Alexandria City Council approved a resolution to establish an Ad Hoc Stormwater Utility and Flood Mitigation Advisory Group in support of the City’s flood mitigation efforts and implementation of the stormwater utility.
The Advisory Group will review and advise in regards to flood mitigation activities, monitor and measure progress of the City’s proposed flood mitigation efforts, serve as a general body for receipt and dissemination of information for the City’s flood mitigation implementation efforts, and review and provide recommendations on proposed Stormwater Utility operating and capital budgets. The Advisory Group will meet on an ad hoc basis for an initial duration of one year, with the first meeting to take place no later than May 2021.
The Advisory Group will be comprised of 10 members appointed by the Mayor and City Council, including seven (7) “at-large” membership positions:
- Three (3) members nominated by civic associations in flood affected areas
- One (1) member that is a representative of a business group
- Two (2) members that are residents with engineering, environmental, financial or related experience that are not a member of any firm involved with or in pursuit of work proposed or being conducted by the City
- One (1) member with interest or expertise in diversity, race and social equity and inclusivity issues
The three (3) remaining positions include:
- One (1) member nominated by the Alexandria Federation of Civic Associations
- One (1) member of the City’s Budget and Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee
- One (1) member of City Council
If you would like to be considered for nomination to one of the at-large positions on the Advisory Group, please apply through the City of Alexandria Boards and Commissions webpage no later than March 29, 2021. To be nominated by a civic association in a flood affected area, please obtain endorsement from your civic association prior to completing the City’s Boards and Commissions application and have the association email an endorsement letter to Gloria Sitton, City Clerk, at Gloria.Sitton@alexandriava.gov.
For more information about the City’s stormwater utility and flood mitigation efforts, please visit the Stormwater Management webpage. For more information on Advisory Group nominations, please contact Gloria Sitton at Gloria.Sitton@alexandriava.gov.