FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 5, 2008
City of Alexandria Advises Residents on Storm Preparation Procedures
In advance of forecasted severe weather, the City of Alexandria reminds residents about storm preparation procedures to handle possible flooding, sewer backups, downed tree limbs, or power outages.
With the possibility of a tidal surge and river flooding, sandbags are available to Alexandria businesses and residents who may need them. The City has parked trailer trucks loaded with sandbags at two locations:
- The intersection of King and Lee Streets in Old Town, and
- George Washington Middle School, 1005 Mount Vernon Avenue, in Del Ray.
Residents are encouraged to prevent flooding and sewer backups in their homes by taking the following steps:
- Clear eaves, drains and sewer openings around homes and businesses to prevent clogging.
- Check gutters and downspouts; clearing debris from them if necessary.
- Inspect sump pumps to ensure they are working properly.
- Move furniture and other items from basements to upper floors if located in areas of the City subject to sanitary sewer backups.
Residents who experience power outages must call Dominion Virginia Power, 1.888.667.3000 to report the outage. Each call is important for providing Dominion with information about specific power outages.
If traveling in your vehicle, please use caution and treat any intersections without working traffic lights as a four-way stop.
Downed Trees and Tree Limbs
If a tree or major tree limb debris fall onto City streets and are blocking streets and/or highways, the City will remove the tree debris. Contact the Alexandria Police Department at 703.838.4444 about the removal of trees blocking streets.
Other Safety Measures
- Residents should bring in garbage cans, lawn furniture, and other items that could be blown by high winds or become dangerous projectiles.
- If a power outage occurs, candles should not be used under any circumstances because they are a fire hazard.
- Pets should also be brought inside for their safety.