FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 18, 2008
City of Alexandria Presents Citywide Wayfinding Program Community Open House
City residents are invited to a Citywide Wayfinding Program Community Open House on January 5, 2009, from 7 to 9 p.m. in City Hall, 301 King St., in Room 2000. The purpose of the open house is to share progress on the Citywide sign program and solicit input from residents regarding refinement of the designs.
The City of Alexandria began development of a comprehensive Citywide wayfinding signage system early in 2008 with the following objectives:
- Create an overall identity and consistent image for the City that is compatible with its historic character and also highlights the City’s commercial districts
- Direct visitors to parking lots and garages
- Provide trailblazer signage for highways, state roads and primary bicycle trails
- Reduce visual clutter
- Promote walking, bicycling and use of mass transit
- Support the regional interpretive trail system and integrate Alexandria Heritage Trail interpretive signage
- Address Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines and considerations
A Wayfinding Stakeholder Advisory Group (SAG) was established to provide input and serve as a liaison to the community. To date, four SAG meetings and two joint SAG/community meetings were held to assist with the programming and designing of the system.
In January 2009, two work sessions on the Wayfinding Program will be held to brief the Planning Commission, the Boards of Architectural Review and City Council. Both meetings are open to the public and will be held in the Council Workroom in City Hall.
- Tuesday, January 6, at 6 p.m. Joint work session with the Planning Commission and the Parker-Gray and Old and Historic District Boards of Architectural Review
- Tuesday, January 27, at 5:30 p.m. City Council work session
For more information on the Citywide Wayfinding Program, please visit the Planning and Zoning Web site at www.alexandriava.gov/wayfinding or contact Carrie Beach at 703.838.4666, ext. 325 or firstname.lastname@example.org.