The legal deadline to register to vote in the November 2 General Election for U.S. House of Representatives and three proposed Virginia constitutional amendments is Tuesday, October 12 at 5 p.m. Mail registration applications must be postmarked on or before October 12.
The Voter Registration Office at 132 N. Royal St. in Old Town Alexandria will have additional office hours on Saturday, October 9, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for voter registration.
The same deadlines are in effect for Virginia voters who are registered, but have moved within the city or within Virginia. Voters who do not update their voter registration applications risk being ineligible to vote this Election Day.
Alexandria voters who are not certain if they are registered at their current address can go online to the Alexandria Voter website, alexandriava.gov/Elections and click on "Am I Registered and Where do I Vote?" or call the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration at 703.746.4050.
The Alexandria Office of Voter Registration offers the following voter registration methods:
- Citizens may download applications from alexandriava.gov/Elections, and submit them by mail to the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration, 132 N. Royal, Suite 100, Alexandria, VA 22314. Applications must be postmarked on or before October 12.
- Mail applications may be obtained at Alexandria Libraries or the Office of Citizens Assistance at City Hall.
- Citizens can register in person at the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and at Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Customer Service Centers.
In addition to the methods listed above, Virginia registered voters who need to update their addresses may do so in one of these ways:
- Complete the form on the back of their old Voter I.D. card and mail or fax it to the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration.
- Complete a voter registration application and mail or fax it to the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration
The Office of Voter Registration FAX number is 703.838.6449.
Voter cards for new or transferred registrants will be mailed within one week of the registration date.
Absentee voting is now in progress. Go to alexandriava.gov/Elections or call 703.746.4050 for absentee and other election information.