The legal deadline to register to vote in the August 23 Primary Election is Monday, August 1, at 5 p.m. In Alexandria, there will be a Democratic Primary for the 30th State Senate District and a Republican Primary for the 39th State Senate District. Mail registration applications must be postmarked on or before August 1.
The same deadlines are in effect for Virginia voters who are registered, but have moved within the city or within Virginia. Voters who do not update their voter registration applications risk being ineligible to vote this Election Day.
Alexandria voters who are not certain if they are registered at their current address can visit, www.alexandriava.gov/Elections and click on “Am I Registered and Where do I Vote?” or call the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration at 703.746.4050.
The Alexandria Office of Voter Registration offers the following voter registration methods:
- Citizens may download applications from alexandriava.gov/Elections and submit them by mail to the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration. Applications must be postmarked on or before August 1.
- Mail applications may be obtained at Alexandria Libraries or the Office of Communications and Public Information on the first floor of City Hall.
- Citizens can register in person at the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and at Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Customer Service Centers.
Alexandria Office of Voter Registration and Elections
132 North Royal Street, Suite 100
Alexandria, VA 22314
In addition to the methods listed above, Virginia registered voters needing to update their addresses may do so in one of these ways:
- Complete the form on the back of their old Voter I.D. card and mail or fax it to the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration (703.838.6449).
- Complete a voter registration application and mail or fax it to the Alexandria Office of Voter Registration (703.838.6449).
Voter cards for new or transferred registrants will be mailed within one week of the registration date.
Absentee voting is now in progress. Visit alexandriava.gov/Elections or call 703.746.4050 for absentee and other election information, including sample ballots and maps of the new legislative districts.