- As required by state law, the City exempts certain disabled veterans and their surviving spouses from paying the real estate tax.
- 2012 Applications for Disabled Veterans Tax Relief are now available.
- Applications are due April 16, 2012.
- Residents who received a tax exemption through the program in 2011 do not need to reapply, unless their primary residence has changed.
As required by state law, the City exempts certain disabled veterans and their surviving spouses from paying the real estate tax. Disabled veterans and their surviving spouses will be exempt from real estate tax under the following conditions:
- The veteran has been rated by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs pursuant to federal law to have a service-connected 100% permanent and total disability;
- The veteran occupies the real property as his principal place of residence; and
- The qualifying land does not exceed two (2) acres.
- For a surviving spouse:
o The death of the veteran occurred on or after January 1, 2011;
o The surviving spouse does not remarry; and
o The surviving spouse continues to occupy the real property as his or her principal place of residence.
Please note that a veteran is considered to have a 100% service-connected disability if:
- The veteran's disability is rated at 100%; or
- The veteran's service connection is rated at less than 100%, but the veteran is paid at the 100% disability rate due to unemployability.
Applications are now available for the City’s Real Property Tax Relief for Veterans with 100 Percent Service-Connected Disability. Applications are due April 16, 2012, and must be accompanied by certification of the veteran’s disability and, in the case of a surviving spouse, the veteran’s death certificate. Residents who received a tax exemption through the program in 2011 do not need to reapply, unless their primary residence has changed. To obtain an application or to receive further information, please visit alexandriava.gov/taxrelief, email Tax Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.746.3901, Option 6.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.746.3907.