February 15, 2012
All Alexandria City government offices will be closed on Monday, February 20 in observance of George Washington’s Birthday (also known as Presidents Day).
Health Facilities: The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.), the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.) and the Teen Wellness Center at T.C. Williams High School (3330 King St.) will be closed.
Hotlines: All emergency hotlines operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including the child protective services hotline, 703.746.5800, the domestic violence hotline, 703.746.4911, the emergency services for mental health or substance abuse crisis hotline, 703.746.3401, and the sexual assault hotline, 703.683.7273.
Libraries: All Alexandria Library branches will be closed.
Museums: On Monday, February 20, the day of the George Washington Birthday Parade in Alexandria, several Historic Alexandria sites will be hosting special open houses with free admission:
- Gadsby’s Tavern Museum, 134 N. Royal St., and the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum, 105-107 S. Fairfax St., will both be open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Friendship Firehouse Museum, 107 S. Alfred St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Lyceum, Alexandria’s History Museum, 201 S. Washington St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visitors may tour these historic sites for free on this day.
Parking: The Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces, as well as time restrictions in residential permit parking districts and other areas with signed parking time limits.
Recreation Centers: Alexandria recreation centers will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., except Chinquapin Recreation Center, which will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Refuse Collection: Residential refuse and recycling will not be collected on February 20. Collection services will be delayed by one day during the week of February 20. The Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Collections Drop-off Center will be closed on February 20.
Schools: The Alexandria City Public Schools will be closed.
State Offices: The General District Court, the Circuit Court, and the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court will all be closed. In addition, the DMV Office at 2681 Mill Rd. will be closed.
Transit: Alexandria Transit Company’s DASH bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule. For the George Washington Birthday Parade, on February 20, DASH will be running a continuous, free, shuttle from the Eisenhower Metrorail Station to Prince and Washington Streets beginning at 11 a.m. with the last shuttle departing Prince and William Streets at 4 p.m. to return to the Eisenhower Metro. The parade begins at 1 p.m. The DASH shuttle does not stop at the King Street Metrorail Station. For more DASH information, visit www.dashbus.com.
Trolley: The free King Street Trolley will use a detour route from the 100 block of N. Washington Street to the Metro Station during the parade. Once the parade ends and King Street is reopened, the trolley will return to its normal route. Though the trolleys will be on a 15-minute schedule, there is a possibility that there could be delays due to heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Eastbound trolleys starting from the Metro station will proceed down King Street, turn left onto the 100 block of North Washington Street (last stop). The trolley will stop at the Metro Station, King & Diagonal, King & Peyton, King & Fayette, King & Patrick, King & South Columbus, and the 100 block of North Washington Street.
- Westbound trolleys starting from the 100 block of North Washington will proceed on North Washington and turn left onto Princess Street. From Princess Street, trolleys turn left onto North Columbus Street, turn right onto King Street and proceed to the Metro Station. The trolley will stop at the 100 block of North Washington, North Columbus & King, King & Patrick, King & Fayette, King & Peyton, King & Diagonal, and proceed to the Metro Station.
For more information about the George Washington Birthday parade, visit www.washingtonbirthday.org.