- 2012 Vehicle Personal Property Tax payments due October 5, 2012.
- Payment in full must be received or postmarked by October 5 to avoid penalties and interest.
- Residents who have not received a bill should contact the City immediately.
The City of Alexandria reminds taxpayers that the 2012 Vehicle Personal Property Tax is due October 5 from all vehicle owners who lived in the City for all or part of calendar year 2012. Payment in full must be received or postmarked by October 5 to avoid penalties and interest. Late payment penalties and interest will be assessed on all personal property tax accounts that are not paid by the due date. The late payment penalty is ten percent of the net tax and late filing penalty or $10, whichever is greater. Interest accrues at an annual rate of ten percent for the first year and five percent for each year thereafter, beginning October 6, 2012, and continuing until all taxes and penalties are paid.
Administrative fees will be assessed against all balances not paid on or before November 15 to cover the cost of collections. The administrative fee is $45 for delinquent balances $50 or greater and $20 for balances between $20 and $49.99. There is no fee for accounts with balances less than $20.
The Finance Department encourages Alexandria taxpayers to pay their personal property taxes by mail, by phone, online, or at walk-in cash payment centers to avoid waiting in line. The City offers several convenient methods for paying the personal property tax:
- Walk-In Cash Payment Centers: The City of Alexandria has partnered with Global Express Bill Payment Centers to offer walk-in payment centers that allow cash payment of City parking tickets and some City taxes at no charge to the taxpayer. A full list of locations is available on the City’s website.
- By Mail: Residents may mail payments using the envelope enclosed with their bills or mail payment to the Treasurer’s Office, P.O. Box 34710, Alexandria, VA 22334-0710. Checks or money orders should be payable to the City of Alexandria. Residents should be sure to include the bill they are paying and write their account numbers in the memo field on their check or money order. Payments should not be mailed to any other address.
- eCheck: Residents may pay by eCheck online at alexandriava.gov/Payments to have the payment electronically deducted from a specified checking or savings account. There is no fee for using this service, which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Credit Card: Residents may pay by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling 1.800.272.9829 or visiting the Finance Department website at alexandriava.gov/Payments. Official Payments Corporation will assess a fee for using this service. The City’s jurisdiction code is 1007.
- SunTrust Bank: Residents may pay at any SunTrust branch located in the City. SunTrust Bank will accept payment of the total amount printed on the personal property tax bill until 5 p.m. on October 5, 2012.
- At City Hall:
(1) Treasury Division, Room 1510: Residents may pay in person at the Treasury Division, City Hall, 301 King St., Room 1510, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Tax bills may be paid in person by cash, check, money order, or Discover Card. Discover will assess a fee for using this service.
(2) Payment Kiosk, Room 1700: Taxpayers may pay by check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover/Novus card at the payment kiosk located in City Hall, 301 King Street, Room 1700. The payment kiosk is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except City holidays.
(3) Drop Box: Residents may pay using the drop box located on the Royal Street side of City Hall, which is available 24 hours a day. Payment must be in the drop box by midnight on October 5, 2012, to avoid late payment penalty. Residents should be sure to include the bill they are paying and write their account numbers in the memo field on their check or money order.
Returned checks/eChecks, are subject to a $35 fee in accordance with state law. For residents’ protection, they should not mail cash or leave cash in the drop box.
Residents who have not received a personal property tax bill should contact Personal Property Tax at email@example.com or call 703.746.3995. They may also contact the City’s Treasury Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703.746.3902. Taxpayers who have had a change of address and have not previously reported this change to the City should contact Personal Property Tax so that a bill may be provided to them prior to the October 5 due date.
For more information on personal property tax, please visit the Finance Department website at alexandriava.gov/CarTax.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.746.3907.