City of Alexandria Announces Schedule of Services for Independence Day Holiday
All City of Alexandria government offices will be closed on Thursday, July 4, in observance of the Independence Day holiday.
- Refuse Collection: Residential refuse and recycling will not be collected on July 4. Thursday collection will take place on Friday, July 5. The Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Collections Drop-off Center will be closed on July 4.
- Animal Shelter: The Vola Lawson Animal Shelter will operate on a weekend schedule on Independence Day. On July 4, the shelter will be open for general business from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and for animal adoptions and viewing from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Health Facilities: The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.); the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.); and the Teen Wellness Center at T.C. Williams High School (3330 King St.) will be closed on July 4.
- Hotlines: All emergency hotlines operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including the child protective services hotline at 703.746.5800; the domestic violence hotline, 703.746.4911; the emergency services for mental health or substance abuse crisis hotline, 703.746.3401; and the sexual assault hotline, 703.683.7273.
- Libraries: All Alexandria Library branches will be closed on July 4.
- Parking: On July 4, the Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces, as well as time restrictions in residential permit parking districts and other areas with signed parking time limits.
- Pools: City Pools are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on July 4. More information at
- Recreation Centers: The Charles Houston Recreation Center will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on July 4. All other City recreation centers will be closed.
- State Offices: The following Commonwealth of Virginia offices located in Alexandria will be closed on July 4: the Circuit, General District, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts, the Clerk of Court Office, and the DMV Office at 2681 Mill Road.
- Transit: Alexandria Transit Company’s DASH bus service will operate on a Sunday schedule on July 4. The King Street Trolley will operate every 15 minutes between the King Street Metro Station and the Potomac River waterfront from 11:30 a.m. to 10:15 p.m.