Rethink Your Commute: Metro SafeTrack Surge #14 Begins April 15
For Immediate Release: April 13, 2017
The City of Alexandria and the Alexandria Transit Company (DASH) have been working with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) and the region’s localities to assist travelers as WMATA’s Metrorail SafeTrack initiative continues. SafeTrack’s "Safety Surges" involve long-duration track outages for major projects in key parts of the system, which will cause delays throughout the region.
WMATA has announced the details of SafeTrack Surge #14, which will directly affect Alexandria even though the surge is located in Prince George’s County, Maryland.
For Surge #14, April 15 to May 14:
- No trains will run between Greenbelt and Prince George’s Plaza in Maryland.
- There will be no Yellow Rush Plus service.
- Blue and Yellow Line services will operate on a normal schedule.
- Trains and platforms on the Blue Line will likely be more crowded during peak periods.
The City of Alexandria urges commuters to:
- Consider telework and alternate work schedule options when possible.
- Use Amtrak and Virginia Railway Express (VRE) with service from Alexandria Union Station (110 Callahan Dr.), which is adjacent to the King Street-Old Town Metro Station. VRE also provides service from Franconia-Springfield to Alexandria Union Station, Crystal City, L’Enfant Plaza, and Union Station in Washington, D.C.
- Take advantage of the DASH Bus system, which provides service throughout Alexandria and to the Pentagon, and connects to Metrorail, Metrobus, and other regional bus partners.
- Bike to work using Alexandria's extensive bike routes and paths. For more information, visit GO Alex, Alexandria’s resource for transportation alternatives.
- Rideshare with other commuters to create a carpool or vanpool or use Carshare.
For more information about SafeTrack and Alexandria’s plans to help, visit alexandriava.gov/SafeTrack.
For media inquiries, contact Andrea J. Blackford, Senior Communications Officer, at email@example.com or 703.746.3959.
# # #
This news release is available at www.alexandriava.gov/97134.