Medicare Open Enrollment
Medicare Open Enrollment
During Medicare Open Enrollment, you can:
- Change your prescription drug plan also known as Medicare Part D
- Join a Medicare Advantage Plan with drug benefits
- Change from your current Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan
- Sign up for the first time for Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D)
All changes will be effective January 1.
Everyone with a Medicare Part D prescription drug and/or Medicare Advantage plans should review their coverage. Here is what to look for:
- Check for changes in the monthly cost you pay for your plan (the premium).
- Check the cost of each medication you take, as costs may increase or decrease.
Plans can also change the drugs covered (the formulary) and the amount of the annual deductible (the amount you must pay before your prescription drug plan begins to pay) so review these too.
Ways To Get Help
SELF-CHECKUP -DO IT YOURSELF
It is easy to review your plan and make the changes yourself.
You will need: a computer, your medication list with the names and dosages of your medications and your Medicare card
1. Go to medicare.gov.
2. Create your “My Medicare” account or log into your Medicare Account
3. Click on Find health and drug plans
4. Enter the information requested to get a list of plans tailored to you.
5. Compare Plans by selecting the plans you would like to review/compare
- Check the plan's star rating and select plans that have at least a 3-star rating
- Compare the cost of plan premiums and deductibles
If you are satisfied with your current plan, no further action is needed.
If you compare plans and find a plan that better meets your needs:
1. Call the plan or check their web site to confirm the information, then
2. Switch plans by:
- Calling the plan's 800 number to enroll or
- Call 1.800.Medicare to request the switch to your selected plan or
- Enroll in the plan using your “My Medicare” account: medicare.gov.
Your coverage in the new plan will start January 1, 2022 and you will be disenrolled from the old plan.
REQUEST ASSISTANCE ONLINE
You will need: Your medication list with the names and dosages of your medications and your Medicare card Access the online form
1. Once the form opens, add your name and email (optional) on the log-in screen then click on the "proceed to document" button.
2. Follow the prompts to fill out the online VICAP information form.
3. When completed, a VICAP counselor will conduct the assessment and select the two plans that best fit your needs. You will receive your assessment in the mail. If you have questions, the counselor will review the assessment with you.
REQUEST ASSISTANCE BY MAIL
You will need: The completed information form below, your medication list with the names and dosages of your medications and your Medicare card number and effective dates
1. Print, complete and submit the VICAP Medicare information form .
2. Mail the completed form to the Alexandria City VICAP office at:
Division of Aging and Adult Services
6101 Stevenson Avenue, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA 22304
3. A counselor will conduct the assessment and select the two plans that best fit your needs. You will receive your assessment in the mail.
4. If you have questions, the counselor will review the assessment with you.