- North Potomac Yard Environmental Sustainability Plan
- On March 12, City Council approved amendments to the North
Potomac Yard Master Plan and corresponding Design Standards and Guidelines that
allow for the integration of Virginia Tech through the creation of the North
Potomac Yard Innovation District.
- Final Draft North Potomac Yard Plan, as amended (pending adoption of ordinance)
- Final Draft North Potomac Yard Design Excellence Criteria (pending adoption of ordinance)
- On April 3, the Virginia Tech Foundation and JBG SMITH (the applicants) submitted conceptual design plans for seven buildings in Phase 1 of the approved proposal. A CDD Concept Plan Amendment, Text Amendment, Preliminary Infrastructure Site Plan and Pump Station Development Special Use Permit are anticipated for a June public hearing cycle.
Community Engagement Opportunities
- The Virginia Tech Foundation and JBG SMITH is hosting virtual community meetings to provide information on the design of the proposed
buildings and site-wide updates. In response to CDC guidance related to COVID-19, there will
be no in-person public meetings and all engagement will be conducted virtually
through online platforms until further notice. Once restrictions on physical
distancing are lifted, in-person community meetings will occur throughout this
process to supplement the online engagement prior to the public hearings.
- Wednesday, August 25, 2021 - Virginia Tech Virtual Pre-Construction Meeting
- Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - Virtual Meeting
- Thursday, June 18, 2020 - Virtual Meeting
- Applicants presented an update regarding the project schedule, building architecture, and open space design for the seven development blocks within the Innovation District.
- Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - Virtual Meeting
- Applicants presented information regarding transportation, open space, sustainability and community benefits.
- Monday, May 4, 2020 - Virtual Meeting - Rescheduled from April 29
- Applicants provided an overall project update and describe plans for the southern group of buildings near the forthcoming Metrorail station, including Block 15 (Residential), Block 18 (Office), Block 19 (Residential), and Block 20 (Office)
- Wednesday, April 22, 2020 - Virtual Meeting
Previous Meeting Information
- November 14, 2019 Community Meeting Presentation
- Presentation during a Joint City Council/Planning Commission Work Session (11/12/19)
The Virginia Tech Innovation Campus will be located in North Potomac Yard in National Landing. In November 2018, Virginia Tech and the Commonwealth of Virginia announced funding for an Innovation Campus in the Alexandria specifically targeted at tech talent that will benefit all companies in the Commonwealth. The campus will offer master’s and doctoral level programs that dovetail with the industry’s most pressing demands. Degree programs and research opportunities will focus on computer sciences and software engineering, while offering specializations in high-demand areas, including data sciences; analytics and collective decisions; security; and technology and policy. The campus will build on the growing innovation economy in Alexandria and Arlington, anchored by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the National Science Foundation, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, as well as private sector companies like Amazon.
Virginia Tech conducted due diligence on the real estate for the campus through the winter and spring and eventually selected North Potomac Yard in National Landing as its future home. Both the City of Alexandria and Virginia Tech recognize and welcome the community’s interest and look forward to coming together to talk about the vision and the planning for this important project for the city.
- Potomac Yard Design Advisory Committee Meetings
- North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan Process
- North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan Document
- National Landing
- For any planning related questions, contact Sara Brandt-Vorel, Urban Planner, 703.746.3819.