- November 14, 2019 Community Meeting Presentation
- Presentation during a Joint City Council/Planning Commission Work Session (11/12/19)
- The Virginia Tech Foundation submitted its first concept plan to the City of Alexandria for development of the Virginia Tech Innovation Campus in North Potomac Yard on November 1. Accompanying the concept plan are related proposals for JBG SMITH/Lionstone’s development proposal for Phase 1 of the North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan infrastructure, office, retail and residential uses. The plans are intended to implement the vision for North Potomac Yard as a mixed-use urban community around the new Potomac Yard Metrorail station.
The Virginia Tech Innovation Campus will be located in North Potomac Yard in National Landing. In November 2018, Virginia Tech and the Commonwealth of Virginia announced funding for an Innovation Campus in the Alexandria specifically targeted at tech talent that will benefit all companies in the Commonwealth. The campus will offer master’s and doctoral level programs that dovetail with the industry’s most pressing demands. Degree programs and research opportunities will focus on computer sciences and software engineering, while offering specializations in high-demand areas, including data sciences; analytics and collective decisions; security; and technology and policy. The campus will build on the growing innovation economy in Alexandria and Arlington, anchored by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the National Science Foundation, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, as well as private sector companies like Amazon.
Virginia Tech conducted due diligence on the real estate for the campus through the winter and spring and eventually selected North Potomac Yard in National Landing as its future home. Both the City of Alexandria and Virginia Tech recognize and welcome the community’s interest and look forward to coming together to talk about the vision and the planning for this important project for the city.
- For more information about Amazon's HQ2 move to Northern Virginia, visit the City’s National Landing webpage.
- For media inquiries, contact Andrea Blackford, Senior Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3959, or Michael Stowe, Virginia Tech Media Director, at email@example.com or 540.231.2611.
- For any planning related questions, contact Sara Brandt-Vorel, Urban Planner, 703.746.3819.